1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need portable 100 watt solar power kit recommendations

Discussion in 'Prepper Forum' started by Mudfoot, May 8, 2017.

1. Mudfoot

Mudfoot
    Expand Collapse

I don't know much about solar kits. I'm looking for at least 100 watts, lightweight, fold-able with a carrying case, decent warranty and a good charge controller. I was looking at the Zamp brand because my camper is pre-wired for Zamp, but they seem way overpriced to me.

I will be using it for camping mostly. I already have one group 27 battery and a 400 watt inverter. My actual power consumption will be light.

What are you using? Any brand, model info would be appreciated. My budget is $350, but could stretch to $400.

2. NF822WNY

NF822WNY
    Expand Collapse

Check out Powerfilm, they have foldable solar panels at 90 and 120 watts

3. Tallman

Tallman
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

That's one of the reasons photovoltaic has not taken off.($$$$$$) When you are camping do you have your vehicle with you? Or are you one of those that will back pack into the wilderness?
    If you have your vehicle the link below is the most affordable I could find.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catal...,EAFeatured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=solar+cell

#3 Tallman, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    357magnum likes this.
  4. The_Tinman

The_Tinman
    Expand Collapse

Mudfoot,
    The Harbor Freight twin panel is about the best price you will find. No matter the brand, my experience is that Mother Nature married Murphy and you never get the rated wattage from a solar panel. Figure about 90 watts fleeting and about 70 constant. It will vary minute by minute. Don't let your battery fall below 10.5 volts or you'll kill it. Depending on load and duty cycle you can actually run all day using a CB radio. Even a 20-amp ham rig is good all day if you take a break and have a beer. If you hit the battery with a constant high load, say 20 amps, then figure about 3-hours till you're charging for 4.

Good luck

357magnum likes this.