• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need some amplifier advice.

BammBamm

Instigators ...173 on the southside.
May 24, 2010
Steger,Illinois
I am looking to add an amp to my setup of a uniden 980ssb and a wilson 1000 on my 2017 dodge ram 1500 with a 3.6l v6 and 160 amp alternator. These are my questions...how many amps can I safetly draw from this electrical system before I need to upgrage alternator or add batteries? Upon looking at amps I seem to have 3 options..RM Italy, X Force or Texas Star that I can get online. Upon review I see that Texas Star requires a crystal for frequencies? Where and how do I get one? I have 2 shops near me and 1 is a hack shop and the other won't even allow an amp in his building! Using a watt meter and turning down deadkey to 1 to 1 1/2 watts for an amp do I need to do more to radio? The last shop I used for years closed down.. I'm really leaning towards the midnight special 250 as I just want a little power to shoot skip but I know I will wish I bought bigger! Am I safe on amp draw to go to the midnight special 500 or 700? Sorry it's so long and thanks for your help.

I would think a 4 pill would be max on stock voltage/amperage.
Skip is few and far between these days

I would think a 4 pill would be max on stock voltage/amperage.
Skip is few and far between these days
Agree. Most stock electrical systems in full size trucks can handle a 4-pill (Amp that does 400-500w)

Not sure on the New Texas Stars, but the older ones all you had to do was move a jumper wire inside to make it CB-ready...

Second alternator and battery. Maybe it's just me but it's what I got . Look, I know it's supposed to be 160 Amps and does everything but give you a...

Newer vehicles that have even an inkling of computer controls everything don't need a big drain on the mains to confuse everything. Do your homework and find a way to cleanly get another alternator on that engine.

Is your antenna a mag mount or solid mount? In my experience, I would make sure my antenna is in top notch condition before adding power. As far as your charging system goes, you should be fine with a small 2 pill. Anything more than that and I would look into upgrading the electrical.

Add a second battery and alternator that is internally regulated. They call those "One wire" alternators." If you get one of those be sure to never to attach a high capacity jump start battery charger. It will cause you problems afterward. Your battery will discharge back through the alternator when not running. Those chargers will blow a regulator diode.

A car stereo store may be able to help you with that, BestBuy even has some of those big capacitors to help with the initial key-up draw.

Bat caps work great for stereo amplifiers because the break between drum beats lets the cap recover. They don't work so good with cb amps because the cap gets drained after you key the mic, so before you even talk the cap is done until you unkey. It has been discussed here before and for the most part a bat cap in a cb application is a waste of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: jessejamesdallas
I am looking to add an amp to my setup of a uniden 980ssb and a wilson 1000 on my 2017 dodge ram 1500 with a 3.6l v6 and 160 amp alternator. These are my questions...how many amps can I safetly draw from this electrical system before I need to upgrage alternator or add batteries? Upon looking at amps I seem to have 3 options..RM Italy, X Force or Texas Star that I can get online. Upon review I see that Texas Star requires a crystal for frequencies? Where and how do I get one? I have 2 shops near me and 1 is a hack shop and the other won't even allow an amp in his building! Using a watt meter and turning down deadkey to 1 to 1 1/2 watts for an amp do I need to do more to radio? The last shop I used for years closed down.. I'm really leaning towards the midnight special 250 as I just want a little power to shoot skip but I know I will wish I bought bigger! Am I safe on amp draw to go to the midnight special 500 or 700? Sorry it's so long and thanks for your help.

The single best improvement you will make is with a 250-350 watt amplifier. After that you must double your power each time to make a difference. So unless you were really wanting to go big I would just keep it simple. A nice 2 pill amp will work fine with your current electrical system with no modifications.

If your Wilson 1000 is properly installed and the SWR has been set then it will work just fine. Get your self a nice class AB or B amplifier, something like an older Texas Star 250 or 350 with Toshiba finals will do fine. An X-Force TnT 250 or 350 would also be good. The midnight special amps are class C which won't be the best on SSB.

Make sure you run #8 positive line to the battery with a fuse at the battery. Then do a short ground to the floor board or firewall. Use a 3 foot or 6 foot jumper and you should be good.

Reactions: BammBamm and binrat
When I was running big stereos I would do a second battery and run a new wire off of the alternator to the batteries. At least an 8 gauge wire but more often than not 4 gauge. Last amp for CB was a DX500 and did the truck the same way. Worked ok in my books.

Reactions: wavrider
Hmm,

If U need to keep it simple. & a quick installation.

The 250 is a good choice.

My recommendation.

#1 Marine grade #6 gauge wire hookup directly to the + battery.
Negative can be shorter to a solid spot on the auto chassis.

#2 Strap a Strong High CFM 12v fan to the bottom of the heat sink of the 250.

#3 Get a cheap 1farad boost cap attached right up to the connectors of the amp.

#4 Use a lot of tape at the connectors. Water proof them & corrosion proof them.

U can avoid hassles & save a lot of time by using these copper wire connectors.

Though for AC. They come in several sizes & work great in audio or Rf linear amp.

installations. Hmdepot-menards etc. Cheap at HD.

Have a similar connector purchased in Bulk for up to 1 gauge. For O I use the very

large copper Blackburn. I have the machine to bang out the ends. But.

Time is money. They come in quite handy. Fast no issue installation.

The Wilson is a base loaded antenna. U will get more gain going from a top loaded

5/8 Fire-stick which is the same length as the Wilson.

No need for extra batts. yada yada & other installation hassles. If U go with the 250.

To really do better than the 250. U will have to go to a 600 Watt RMS or 4X 600, 2400AM pep Amp.

More Batteries. O gauge. Depending on accessories in auto. Bigger alternator.

Bigger sometimes in not better. Depends what U desire.

I need to have a lot of Gasolina going into my 3/4 wave Fire-Stick.

Its gotta to be tubes. I'm long winded !

Best FourF
blackburn-wire-connectors-wire-terminals-btc3104-b2-5-64_1000.jpg
ingers&aThumb

Attachments

• PA160002 Phantom12 in car.JPG
    PA160002 Phantom12 in car.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 174
Reactions: Old_Crow
you would be wise to borrow an amp from someone in order to test whether or not it is going to mess with your vehicle's computers.

dodge chrysler vehicles are notorious for having problems with RF among radio users.

you don't want to invest a bunch of money into an amp and find out that it shuts your truck off every time you key the mic.
LC

Hmmm

In my experience. A small RF mobile amp. That is connected properly to the DC.

Coax to the antenna. Good condition. PL-259 connectors that the ground in the coax is

soldered properly. Or if the cheapi crimped on tight. PL-259 super hand tight on the radio

all the way to the back of the amp. Antenna good condition. 1.2 SWR.

It will not mess with yur cars brain ! A little Gasolina up the coax to your antenna goes a

long way. The Law of diminishing returns kicks in quick past a 250. I know.

My second car cannot have a CB.....smiles. Not because of "computer issues".

But #1 because it has a usable passenger seat ! #2 Usable rear seat not crammed

with 7 x 110 pound batteries !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Borowing an Amp could become time consuming. U have to install it properly. Will the

borroee ? Lend U a custom wire harness to go with the Amp ? If U make an error.

& some how blow up their Amp. Will U be paying for their amp ?

73s

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated