• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need some guidance on pc purchase

338_MtRushmore

Jun 17, 2012
The Dakotas
I am told my wife to buy me a desktop for Christmas, now I need to figure out what to get. Just planning to use it in the shack. I haven't paid attention to specs since a year or 2 after vista was released, so I'm pretty clueless. Sorry for such a lame question.

Any recomendations?

Build from scratch.
Ubuntu studio is free.
Screenshot_20171217-183432.png

Last edited:
I build ALL of my PCs by scratch - too. One in the living room with a big screen, one in the bedroom, another on my radio workbench, the reloading bench, and one my main desk - and mostly built from scrap cases and motherboards. Its somewhat easy to do once you learn how; but your situation is different.

If you aren't up to all that; then you should consider a few things first when buying a ready-made PC. Some simple things to keep in mind and note before buying:
One is RAM/memory; running Windows10 likes 16gb better than running 8gb.
Get a SSD ('solid state drive') instead of a spinning type of drive. The SSD's a really fast in every way.
AMD's are cheaper than Intel CPU's; go with that too.

Summing it up:

16gb of RAM memory
Solid state drive ~240gb large is enough
AMD; not Intel

In addition motherboards like ASUS, Gigabyte, and MSI are best to keep in mind too.
Look for these things when buying a pre-built PC

Hp's make some really decent pre-built PC's; Dell's are crummy - IMO . . .

Last edited:
Is it cheaper to build one if you have zero parts to reuse?

Based on Robb's description, a prebuilt would start around $900. Sound about right, or am I looking in the wrong spot?

If you’re on a budget, look at some of the refurbished “off lease” computers that are available. I wouldn’t spend an exorbitant amount of money, unless you’re into the latest games that require a special video card and a huge amount of memory. There was a time when you saved money by building your own. With the exception of very high end systems, those days are gone. Complete off lease computers with an i5 processor are now readily available for under $300. Even the under $150 dual core off lease computers will serve most needs. Most of them will also have a 30 day warranty. One year warranties are not uncommon either. Laptops and smart phones have largely taken over the desktop market. Therefor you're getting the most bang for the buck in a desktop, that is if you don't mind the lack of portability.

If you’re on a budget, look at some of the refurbished “off lease” computers that are available. I wouldn’t spend an exorbitant amount of money, unless you’re into the latest games that require a special video card and a huge amount of memory. There was a time when you saved money by building your own. With the exception of very high end systems, those days are gone. Complete off lease computers with an i5 processor are now readily available for under $300. Even the under $150 dual core off lease computers will serve most needs. Most of them will also have a 30 day warranty. One year warranties are not uncommon either. Laptops and smart phones have largely taken over the desktop market. Therefor you're getting the most bang for the buck in a desktop, that is if you don't mind the lack of portability.
Where would one find these for sale?

I ditched the desk top stuff years ago and very much prefer the Toshiba laptop I now have.
Made sense to me years ago as well. Working on documents and had to go on the road I just load up my laptops and go. I have all of my documents and all of my photo editing tools with me. I fly photo/video drones for a hobby and edit them for use in the documents.

I haven't owned a desktop since maybe 2004 or so. I don't physically have the room for a laptop in the shack so I thought I would give a desktop a whirl. Why stuff a laptop under there, isn't that what desktops are for?

Is it cheaper to build one if you have zero parts to reuse?

Based on Robb's description, a prebuilt would start around $900. Sound about right, or am I looking in the wrong spot?
You can build one pretty cheap. Price depends on what specs you're looking for. TigerDirect is a good website to buy parts from and when I was living on the West Coast I used to buy all my parts from Fry's Electronics.

I haven't owned a desktop since maybe 2004 or so. I don't physically have the room for a laptop in the shack so I thought I would give a desktop a whirl. Why stuff a laptop under there, isn't that what desktops are for?

A desktop keyboard alone takes up as much width and only a little bit less depth as most laptops. My Toshiba is a 17 inch laptop and takes up far less room than a desktop unit with it's associated keyboard and monitor. I do use an external wireless mouse however as I cannot stand those touch pads or roller balls. Plus no monitor to have to sit somewhere, it packs up neatly when done, and I can take it any where in the house.......or the shop......or the back deck etc to do whatever with.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?