• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need some help setting up hi fi audio

For some people constantly working towards something better is what a hobby is all about, it's the journey that's important.
Better is a subjective word in this case.
I've read so many posts about essb/HiFi AM and how it's not actually a better way to transmit but a different way.
Some are for others against.
Both make valid points. Lot's of Ham's are pulling their hair out. Some people care about causing splatter, and others don't. I'm sure there's a sweet spot but becoming obsessed with HiFi and doing it better usually Leeds to other operators have to deal with the fall out.

I have to agree totally with what 543 and 131 are saying, a good mic and a correctly setup radio can make a damn good sounding station. Some people just can't get that through their heads I suppose. It's all about hearing how you sound on air. And to do this properly you need a good receiver and a set of good speakers as well. A CB radio and some cheap speakers just aren't going to cut it. I get asked all the time what I am running as far as mics and such, and to be honest it's all stock. Mic and radio as well. Granted it's an HF radio, heck I even get compliments on AM as well as SSB. Just have to take the time to set up your stuff to your voice. Can't try to sound like someone else as your voice may not sound like theirs, added EQ's and rack gear or not. Just my take on this subject. It takes a lot of time and effort to setup even a stock radio and mic together to sound good. It's not just plug and play even with no rack gear and such. Took me a long time to figure this out myself. But once dialed in, the key is to leave it!!! Some people just can't do that I suppose. Just my take on this. Heard many a station that sound like crap and they have a lot of money invested into their setup. Meanwhile the guy down the road sounds great with his stock mic and radio setup correctly.
Please correct me if I am wrong with anything I have said above as I am no expert in this field.

I have to agree totally with what 543 and 131 are saying, a good mic and a correctly setup radio can make a damn good sounding station. Some people just can't get that through their heads I suppose. It's all about hearing how you sound on air. And to do this properly you need a good receiver and a set of good speakers as well. A CB radio and some cheap speakers just aren't going to cut it. I get asked all the time what I am running as far as mics and such, and to be honest it's all stock. Mic and radio as well. Granted it's an HF radio, heck I even get compliments on AM as well as SSB. Just have to take the time to set up your stuff to your voice. Can't try to sound like someone else as your voice may not sound like theirs, added EQ's and rack gear or not. Just my take on this subject. It takes a lot of time and effort to setup even a stock radio and mic together to sound good. It's not just plug and play even with no rack gear and such. Took me a long time to figure this out myself. But once dialed in, the key is to leave it!!! Some people just can't do that I suppose. Just my take on this. Heard many a station that sound like crap and they have a lot of money invested into their setup. Meanwhile the guy down the road sounds great with his stock mic and radio setup correctly.
Please correct me if I am wrong with anything I have said above as I am no expert in this field.

Thats what Ive found. Some 131 babble. Stock radios "take" better then others, Rangers, B&W, Brownings, Trams..Ok I'm old skrewl and love old and simple. FYI none sound bad..none are north of 130% MOD (without many mods).And the old '50's Johnson rigs will force you to learn about radio. Don't watch those 300% audio vids..just crank that carrier up if you need more.
I run and setup my low level radios with crazy wideband and super modulation, the same way I run my plate modulated rigs..With more highs now then any of my old xfmrs would allow! Zap zap. But I miss shaking the floor with some bass...

Go to Youtube, watch Ham Nation episode 36. About 43/44 minutes or so in Bob Heil gives a long lesson on how to set up TX audio. You can choose to ignore it if you want and go the all bassy loud route but don't be surprised when people are constantly asking you to repeat yourself whilst people like me who follow those simple guidelines keep on getting through the pile ups.

Reactions: Sonar
Thats not HiFi then......
I hate to split hairs but what you're hearing isn't actually hi-fi. It's wide banding.. Of course there's equalizers and or mixers involved but that still doesn't make it High Fidelity. Hi Fidelity is associated with FM and not AM. If I'm wrong I don't mind being corrected. Any knowledg or understanding I have comes from my world wide web searches and post readings.

I hate to split hairs but what you're hearing isn't actually hi-fi. It's wide banding.. Of course there's equalizers and or mixers involved but that still doesn't make it High Fidelity. Hi Fidelity is associated with FM and not AM. If I'm wrong I don't mind being corrected. Any knowledge I have or understanding comes from what I'm hearing when it comes from my world wide web searches and post readings.
Is not HiFi because of the quality, HiFi works with AM, FM and SSB just fine. CB radios dont have filtering so they can transmit really wide without being wide banded. Hard telling what the neighbor is actually doing but given a stock radio with a mod limiter cut he would probably still bleed.

Most people who wide band their radio are only concerned with doubling or on the extreme tripling their width. 3khz-6khz-9-10 khz. 131 Mustang runs about the widest 10khz on the band but he doesn't bleed.

Then there are the guys with over driven/modulation, they can easily transmit 20khz or more depending on how much their carrier is pinching off. So the wide banded radio does not necessarily cause the bleed over. The neighbor transmitting 15 each way channels is close to 300khz wide o_O Thats about double what FM broadcast is ....lol So i suspect the wide banding isnt the issue the neighbor needs his coax cut.

Last edited:
Is not HiFi because of the quality, HiFi works with AM, FM and SSB just fine. CB radios dont have filtering so they can transmit really wide without being wide banded. Hard telling what the neighbor is actually doing but given a stock radio with a mod limiter cut he would probably still bleed.

Most people who wide band their radio are only concerned with doubling or on the extreme tripling their width. 3khz-6khz-9-10 khz. 131 Mustang runs about the widest 10khz on the band but he doesn't bleed.

Then there are the guys with over driven/modulation, they can easily transmit 20khz or more depending on how much their carrier is pinching off. So the wide banded radio does not necessarily cause the bleed over. The neighbor transmitting 15 each way channels is close to 300khz wide o_O Thats about double what FM broadcast is ....lol So i suspect the wide banding isnt the issue the neighbor needs his coax cut.
I guess I'm playing devil's advocate.

its ok ill plug his ears. see how he like that. he wont be talking to anyone. at least he wont hear anyone. i hated for it to come to this. but it is what it is..

Reactions: Sonar
If he is really bleeding 15 channels; then that isn't HiFi. Couldn't be farther from the truth. HiFi - if the audio is say 10khz wide - should only be capable of bleeding one channel over in each direction (one channel above and below). So, if that station is bleeding over that much, my money says that he has a radio with dirty output and an amp that is amping all that trash.

Seems like the guys with the smallest amplifiers do the most damage to the band. With my 20khz wide transmitter I can run more power and bleed less than most of my locals.

Since my voice doesn't produce any tones at 20k my signal is about 6-7 khz wide on a panadapter. Some people seem to have a hard time understanding how that works.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.