• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Club - Want Ideas - $5000 Budget

KE5WZY

Feb 3, 2010
Hello, I got my license recently (KE5WZY) and am thinking about setting up a ham club here at our library in Oklahoma. Thinking on calling it LARC (Library Amateur Radio Club). At our library we have about 10 kids programs that get them involved in educational areas. Helps keep them off the streets :D. For example we recently started the library flight club. We use simulators and have cooperated with the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association) and their Young Eagles program. They flew into our grass runway airport with 3 planes and took up 26 kids. All in all we have about 60 kids signed onto the flight club, including my own two boys. We also have an astronomy club and own a nice 14" gps celestron scope. Now I am thinking of starting the ham radio club. Looking for idea that will capture the interest of middle school and high school aged kids. The club of course is open to everyone of all ages, and I have a couple of experienced hams that will sign up with this. This is just in the planning stage so far. I would like to budget up to $5K which is allocated for childrens programs. The library gets donations and grants for such stuff. I am hoping that after setting up a station here at the library, that the kids will get interested. So what ideas do you all have? Also ideas for equipment. Would like to talk to people in other countries. Will a 35 foot antenna be enough for that?
---Mike.

I would start with satellite stuff. A lot of the kids that I've shown HF communication to aren't impressed in the internet age. However, you point an antenna in the sky and tell them you're going to bounce the signal off a satellite, and they think that's pretty cool. You don't have to spend a lot of money to do that, either. You might be able to get a QSO with the ISS. Kids still think astronauts are cool.

I myself would like to personally give you a big TEXAS size THANK YOU for what you are doing for those kids. I live around Springfield Mo. maybe some day i might take a trip down to OK and take in a tour of the library. Thank you againg for everything you and everyone else is doing to keep kids off the streets and AWAY FROM DRUGS.

sat work for sure..
digital modes as well

Combining computer along with long distance/other country contects

Maybe DStar ( however that may require a bit of money to set up )

Whatever ways and methods you decide..
You will be doing a Great service to the kids in your community.
Perhaps also get to set them on a good path and able to do a continuing good service in the community..

hats off to you

Excellent idea, Mike. Thanks for taking interest in the youth of your area.

In addition to what the others shared, a VHF station may be a good start. That way you can encourage the students to get the Technician Class licenses and start communicating locally and with other hams around the world through Echolink and other modes.

Working the satellites, as was mentioned, is very cool and it doesn't require tons of money to do so.

Best of luck with your project!

That is a great idea. Ditto on what King Cobra said. I am in North Texas and would love to stop in and check it out .. Throw out a address please. Great job again for the Kids. Anything is better than my space, mTv and all the other crappy stuff out there for them now..
Mark

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated