• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Forum... New Rig!

Recieved the dummy load from HRO. It came with the transformer oil in a plastic jug, with plastic and tape over the lid to keep it from coming loose during shipping. The can is pretty thin, but seems to be just fine. (No leaks)! I'm really amazed at how simple the thing is, and for a 1500 watt dummy load that is capable of handling 10 minutes worth of key down seems like a real bargain. It also seems like our radio club should build a bunch of these on meeting night. One big resistor, a can, some oil, and a bulkhead SO-239 connector. That's it! I'm fairly quick at tuning my amp, so I have yet to feel any heat on the surface of the can. I give it two thumbs up. :)

Brett

Yeah they're pretty basic construction. Locating the resistor is half the battle!

How do you like your W2IHY stuff?

I just replaced the can bottom portion of my Heathkit Cantenna after 24 years of service. The lid and resistor were fine but the can had rusted through. I bought an extra can because I think within the next few years paint cans are all gong to be plastic. I'm not going to bidding $50 on eBay for a "rare and vintage" metal paint can if it ever needs replaced again!

Reactions: 2RT307
Yeah they're pretty basic construction. Locating the resistor is half the battle!

How do you like your W2IHY stuff?

I really like the W2IHY equipment. Not only is it extremely easy to hook up and find the right settings, you don't have to fight RF issues like a lot of the "rack" guys do.

Brett

Recieved the dummy load from HRO. It came with the transformer oil in a plastic jug, with plastic and tape over the lid to keep it from coming loose during shipping. The can is pretty thin, but seems to be just fine. (No leaks)! I'm really amazed at how simple the thing is, and for a 1500 watt dummy load that is capable of handling 10 minutes worth of key down seems like a real bargain. It also seems like our radio club should build a bunch of these on meeting night. One big resistor, a can, some oil, and a bulkhead SO-239 connector. That's it! I'm fairly quick at tuning my amp, so I have yet to feel any heat on the surface of the can. I give it two thumbs up. :)

Brett

I know this thread is a bit old but I thought I would share what I did.
I have several amps and it seem like one is always under some type of construction.
I installed a meat thermometer in the top of the lid. I drilled it's own small hole of appropriate size. I have the probe set near the top of the oil. This mod makes it very nice to see what's is going on inside the can. I have easily pumped 4K into it for short bursts.

Cheers,
Larry

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated