• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New generation Cobra 148GTL

43Echo695

Oct 19, 2008
Queensland, Australia
Hello Forum,

I'm thinking of buying a new generation Cobra 148 GTL and would like some opinions, or ratings out of 10 please. How does it compare to the original 148? Considering an Astatic 636L mic for it also.

The radio is for mobile only, and won't be heavily modded, maybe just a peak/tune, I have another rig in mind for DXing.

Everything seems to be made in China these days and I don't want be buying rubbish.

73's

A lot of hard core cobra fans beleive the old original 148 cobra was/is better than the new ones. i tend to agree. but truth be told ive never owned a new or old 148 cobra. im a uniden grant xl man myself. for a couple more bucks i think id just get a new rci 2950dx. my 2 cents.

well got 2 guys up my way that each bought one on AM they sound ok not great but ok ...on ssb they are junk I can't tune them in they can't tune each other in they sound all distorted on ssb ..these radios are all stock right out of the box and they sound like shit on ssb..we talk a lot on ssb and these radios are unreadable on ssb..I would not by one..just my opinion

if you get a proper tune and alignment on the radio it should be a good talker . from what i read in the forums the side mic 148's were better and the grants at least as good if not better depending on whos giving their opinion . as far as a new radio goes for ssb i like galaxy , but the older 148's and grants are supposed to be better . who has been in a radio will make all the difference in the world performance wise .

i dont care for them.id recommend the texas ranger 966 same as old148/grant
or teas ranger freedom 1 696f,same as 148f with 6digit.these are very good on
ssb.easily modded

i dont care for them.id recommend the texas ranger 966 same as old148/grant
or teas ranger freedom 1 696f,same as 148f with 6digit.these are very good on
ssb.easily modded

Those radios are similar to, but not the same as the 148/Grant chassis. The RX is not as good. The modulation scheme is different, too. The only Jim Peng RCI radio that was the same was the Texas Ranger 296 series. Those had almost the exact same design as the 148/Grant dual conversion 8719 board.

I have both the new style and old style 148's and the new 148 is given a bum rap. It is a good radio no matter what folks are saying. I got mine thru Sparkys CB Shack, he tunes and aligns everything he sells as part of the purchase. Its a good radio, go for it.

New generation Cobra 148 GTL

Thanks for your replies.. The radio is intended as a general and durable all-rounder, primarily for mobile/stationary mobile SSB use. I don't really need a VFO.

I have looked at some of the other suggestions, like the Texas Ranger 966/696, and the Galaxy 959, also the 979 (no VFO & front mic).

I can understand now why people sometimes get stuck when it comes to buying a new radio!!

73's

Hate to agree with the parking lot radio but it's the truth ..You want a radio and they need cash ..the deals are out there ..

i'd put the real money in the antenna where it really pays to not be cheap

I have both the new style and old style 148's and the new 148 is given a bum rap. It is a good radio no matter what folks are saying. I got mine thru Sparkys CB Shack, he tunes and aligns everything he sells as part of the purchase. Its a good radio, go for it.

The new 148s deserve their bad rap because they are cheap Chinese crap.
You are better off trying to get a side mic 148 or the clone 148s which are the Texas Ranger 296 and the General Sherman.

I don't think most people aren't trying to give the new 148s a bad rap it's just when at one time they and the uniden grant xl are the best radios for side band people just tend to compare I have a older philly built grant that I have owned since new and I've thought about selling it but for some reason I just cant bring myself to do it. The sad part is it won't fit in my pick up. So it just sits on my self.

if your truck has open floor in the middle ya could get a center console
that will hold a grant xl.if not mount a overhead console and mount it on
the shelf.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.