• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ham on the Forum

If I am not mistaken you do not need the paper ticket in hand to operate,there is a phone # that you can call and get your callsign from the FCC usually in under a week,that is what I done... but it was over ten years ago,I have no idea what the number is now

And a huge grats !! (y)

Welcome to the world of ham radio !!

Thanks guys, didn't know if my 60+ year old brain would be up to it or not. I need to get a radio and an antenna up. With the cold weather the paper will probably be here by the time I get things together.

Blue Jay,
Typically, if you see your name listed in the newly licensed section on the internet, and if they display a call sign issued to you, that's all that's required for operation. They get around to mailing the paper one's to you eventually. Don't ask where that site is, I just don't remember off hand (bet someone here does though).
Why shouldn't a 60-something year old brain be able to do it? Except for the regulations part, the rest of all that stuff is about that old too. They ought'a feel sort of comfortable together. ;)
- 'Doc

(Most of me is at least 60 years old except for my brain. I only use it occasionally so it's newer. Right?)

(Most of me is at least 60 years old except for my brain. I only use it occasionally so it's newer. Right?)[/QUOTE]

I guess in that respect my brain would only be a 30 something trapped in a 60's body. I have the web site to check for my call, but since it was just Sunday that I passed the paper work probably has not made it thru the snail mail to the FCC yet but I will keep checking.

Congrats, I'm going to watch this thread to find out more about getting a ham radio and antenna. Right now I am waiting for my Tecsun PL-880, just SWL right now Sometime this year I will want to get into ham'n.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.