• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Icom ID-51A Plus 2 announced

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Icom has released a few details on the new ID-51A Plus 2 D-Star HT. It has all of the same feature set of the very popular ID-51A Plus / Anniversary Edition, but now adds the capability to connect directly to the internet via USB cable. This new feature will allow you to connect directly to reflectors or internet-connected repeaters across the internet, even if you don't have a local D-Star repeater. In addition, the Plus 2 will also allow you to use it as a D-Star Hotspot so other D-Star enabled radios can use it as a gateway to the D-Star network.

I haven't yet found out if popular software such as DSTARRepeater or MMDVM will support the radio as the terminal device, but I imagine it won't take long to incorporate support. I don't have price information, but we've seen how competitive Icom has become with pricing lately, so it's a pretty safe bet that it will come in under the price of the Kenwood TH-D74. More info to come as it's released...

Nice,, I really like my icom ID-51 Anniversary radio, might have to add this one to the collection if its priced reasonable

Hopefully it won't cost as much as the kenwood that is coming out. $650 for a handheld. Ouch! My wallet just feels thinner thinking about it LOL!! Icom has definitely stepped their game up as of late. Hopefully the others will follow.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?