• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NEW OR OLD COBRA 148GTL??

sluggo

Aug 11, 2010
Hello im looking to get a cobra 148 gtl question is should I get a new one or look for a older model ? I have heard that the new ones are junk true?? if I get a old one where should it be manufactured thanks for the help.

The new ones have been cheapend up so much they are very close to junk. I have heard two on SSB after a standard peak and tune and they sounded crappy. If you do buy a new one get it from Doug at Custom cb radio. He will go through it and replace/upgrade a fair number of parts. Probably be cheaper to find a nice quality old school version.

Hello im looking to get a cobra 148 gtl question is should I get a new one or look for a older model ? I have heard that the new ones are junk true?? if I get a old one where should it be manufactured thanks for the help.

Made in China = Junk
Old school 148/Grants/Texas Ranger 296 are the best.

Reactions: Smokinone
How bout a 148 made in 93 Malyasian model?

That's a good one. I have always wondered why people state the Phillipine 148s are the best........that is just nonsense. The Malaysian and Phillipine 148s are equally as good. The Taiwan 148s are good too but dried out caps are common with those.....they perform the same as the other 2.

I didn't see the reviews on the ARRL site so I Imagine it's all about liking old radios. I had one of each and they performed exactly the same in every day use. Output looked the same on a scope and receive was close. The new 148 was a little moew sensitive. Buy a new one...it will last longer.

I didn't see the reviews on the ARRL site so I Imagine it's all about liking old radios. I had one of each and they performed exactly the same in every day use. Output looked the same on a scope and receive was close. The new 148 was a little moew sensitive. Buy a new one...it will last longer.

i got rid of both of the new ones i bought because they drifted bad on sideband and wee off freq plus one had crappy sounding modulation. ive heard alot of people disliking the newer one

i got rid of both of the new ones i bought because they drifted bad on sideband and wee off freq plus one had crappy sounding modulation. ive heard alot of people disliking the newer one

There are two kinds of 'new ones'. There is the Night Watch/Sound Tracker 148 GTL, and there is the standard 148 GTL. I reviewed the new standard 148 GTL on the forum: http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-band-cb-radios/49063-cobra-148-gtl-review.html

After unlocking the clarifier, Shottky diodes/2n2999e transistor mods, and a complete alignment, this radio had no problems and still works just fine. In fact, it worked out quite well after giving it some TLC.
However, the NW/ST 148 was a DOG - no matter what I did for it.

But side band drift wasn't a problem with either one.
Not saying you are wrong; I just didn't find the same thing.
:whistle:

Last edited:
it just seemed crappy from the start. mine wasnt the nw just the normal one but i didn't rebuild it right out of the box

it just seemed crappy from the start. mine wasnt the nw just the normal one but i didn't rebuild it right out of the box

The stock/'cheap' voltage regulator is supposed to be the #1 culprit for unstable SSB in the new radios (read the review for the details). I didn't have this problem, as previously mentioned. But I was told to take out the stock regulator and replace it with a National Semiconductor equivalent using a mica insulator and some thermal grease in order to give this radio a fair shake. I didn't need to; but it seems like fair advice since this device is superior than the one that is supplied OEM for that radio.

:oops:

The stock/'cheap' voltage regulator is supposed to be the #1 culprit for unstable SSB in the new radios (read the review for the details). I didn't have this problem, as previously mentioned. But I was told to take out the stock regulator and replace it with a National Semiconductor equivalent using a mica insulator and some thermal grease in order to give this radio a fair shake. I didn't need to; but it seems like fair advice since this device is superior than the one that is supplied OEM for that radio.

:oops:

ok, good to know if i come across one cheap

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated