• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New president lincoln 2

I was not targeting truck drivers, just stating that they are the market focus.
true ,
truckers are the reason some of these companies are still making radios there are thousands of truckers buying radios every day.

people should embrace the fact that truckers are even buying similar radios .
imho if it were only hams actually buying the radios there would be quite a few radios going belly up fast.

im a ham , im also aware on who the target buyer really is with alot of the hf radio's .

show me a hf rig that isnt easily modded for 11 meter and ill show one with low sale numbers . just my opinion .

Reactions: 1 person
There are over 750,000 amateurs in the USA and well over a million in Japan.

The Elecraft K3 and KX3 aren't easily modded for 11m and seem to sell plenty. Same with the Flexradio range.

You seem to be confusing 11m rigs advertised as 10m Export ones to get around regulations of various countries of the world as "amateur HF rigs" when the amateur world views them as CBs and overpriced ones at that.

hope your well mate

I am doing well old friend.

Just a note to those who may be new to the forum, Jazz may have a colorful way of expressing himself, but very often he speaks words of wisdom from experience.

You seem to be confusing 11m rigs advertised as 10m Export ones to get around regulations of various countries of the world as "amateur HF rigs" when the amateur world views them as CBs and overpriced ones at that.

amateur world views them as CBs and overpriced ones at that

Not all Amateur`s regard them a CB`s, I have been using so called "export" radios for years on 10 ( and 12 ) meters for the better part of 2 decades and have logged thousands of contacts with them.
They ARE 10 and 12 meter radios until someone "converts" them into Cb`s.
Almost any radio can be modified to operate outside of the original frequency range if one has the understanding of radio to do so.
Even the American FCC has admitted that they are valid for sale as is out of the box for Amateur use, and have told us they are legal to be used as such.
My 2 cents for what it is worth.

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
I am doing well old friend.

Just a note to those who may be new to the forum, Jazz may have a colorful way of expressing himself, but very often he speaks words of wisdom from experience.

Not all Amateur`s regard them a CB`s, I have been using so called "export" radios for years on 10 ( and 12 ) meters for the better part of 2 decades and have logged thousands of contacts with them.
They ARE 10 and 12 meter radios until someone "converts" them into Cb`s.
Almost any radio can be modified to operate outside of the original frequency range if one has the understanding of radio to do so.
Even the American FCC has admitted that they are valid for sale as is out of the box for Amateur use, and have told us they are legal to be used as such.
My 2 cents for what it is worth.

Jeff

Not all Amateurs regard exports as cb's as Jeff say's, many are shrewd enough and not narrowminded enough to realise its a very cheap and convenient way of getting on 10m be it mobile or base. The Cobra 148 gtl dx has been a great servant of the 10m ham community for 3 decades,i'm certain the president jackson,ss3900 and many others will continue to serve them well on a budget, not everyone wants a 500-700 dollar hf set sitting on their passenger seat when a 100 dollar or less second hand export will probably do the job better and cheaper, than an ft817 and look a damn sight better into the bargain.

Only a snob would look down on such a great cheap way to get on 10m and sound reasonably good, i've lost count of how many hams have asked me what hf set i was on on a president jackson and astatic teardrop,

sure they were hams on 11m that have their feet firmly on the ground and never forgot their roots, but all were proficient operators who were quite stunned just how good cb's or glorified cb's as you love so much can sound,quick crystal switch and retune will sound just as good on 10m as it does on 11m,

I can't think of many HF sets without expensive add on narrow filters that will compete with a cobra 148 gtl dx,president richard,jackson,lincoln and derivatives and especially the Jack, possibly one of the best sounding tx audio you will ever hear, also known as mckinley or staker 9 on 10m, for selectivity or sensitivity or tx/rx audio.

Then theres the Ranger RCI 2900 series, 100% amateur band radios till they are modded, and as Jeff says 100% certified as such by the fcc,who got their arses kicked in court as did e bay, by Shioda a member of this forum who is their lawyer, I wouldn't be slagging them off on here, he's not known for losing in court defending that fact. lmao. They do nothing the big 3 don't do,FACT !!!

Many hams have owned converted cobras since the early 80's and would never part with them, those are the smart hams ;) Other hams don't use cb any longer, but still come on this part of the forum to help newer cb'ers, not naming anyone as don't want them getting bigheaded,lol, but they are my type of ham too, cause knowledge unshared is knowledge wasted. They also never forgot their roots even though they prefer the legality of licensed operating, I respect that.

But to sit and slag off a whole collection of radios that you know fuck all about, I can never accept or respect that. And the amount of hams returning to 11m disillusioned by bellends like you is staggering, I know many that prefer 11m even though they won't admit to it on here, and I certainly ain't gonna name them, all because of the snobbery in their hobby that they studied hard to get a license for, people like you are killing ham radio and resurrecting cb, thank you ;) :p

If anyone is confusing 11m rigs disguised as 10/12m radios or even worse 10-160m radios, its you Conor, your beloved big 3 and Alinco don't put general coverage in for people to listen to the bbc world service, they put it in because they know pirates are a huge part of their customer base and have been since the late 70's, they are even more brazen than companies doing it with 10/12m radios, as often one diode is all you have to remove whereas a president jackson involves a fair bit of work to activate its illegal coverage, which on the grand scale of things ain't quite as bad as giving a pirate 100w for anywhere on the mf/hf spectrum, open your eyes and don't be a bellend forever.

Last edited:
The vast majority of the export rigs are made for the 11 meter crowd and most are crap except for the select few that have been mentioned above. I would have no issues talking on 10 or 12 to someone that is running an export as long as the roger beep and echo are turned off and they are not over driving the piss out of it. If they are then go to 11. Heck I am even looking at a RS HTX-10 just to have idling on 10.

Reactions: 3 people
Indeed. The beloved President Lincoln is truly dire in comparison to any current Yaecomwood transceiver. The RX audio is awful, they're deaf, the receiver is noisy, its quite feature barren and as for selectivity, forget it. The selectivity might be OK for 10kHz channel spacings but not any tighter than that. I found the Rangers and Superstar 3900s pretty much the same. I could never go back to them.

We are very happy that you enjoy your Yaecomwood, but not everyone in the world wants to play radio the way you do.

You are aware that this is the CB radio section right?

Under the heading export radios?

Jeff

Reactions: 4 people
We are very happy that you enjoy your Yaecomwood, but not everyone in the world wants to play radio the way you do.

You are aware that this is the CB radio section right?

Under the heading export radios?

Jeff

Yes however it wasn't I that brought up comparing a CB to a Yaecomwood.

As regards to performance, this is an interesting review:

Review Superstar SS6900N V6 | Ham Radio Blog PD0AC

Sensitivity
AM: – 117 dBm
FM: – 118 dBm
SSB: -125 dBm

First of all, why are they not all the same? Secondly, never seen a Yaecomwood that deaf.

Harmonic suppression:
Here we ran into some problems. When measuring the harmonic suppression, I immediately noticed some peaks left and right of the carrier. To get a better picture of what was happening there I reduced the frequency span. This is what appeared on the spectrum analyzer screen:

ss6900n-mixer-products.jpg

That is quite horrific and typically equivalent to those $17 chinese VHF HTs. Its interesting to note that he tested a second export radio and got similar if not as bad results and then tested a type approved one and they were far better with third harmonic being unnoticeable.

I wonder how many of those saying the export radios are as good as the Yaecomwoods have ever bothered to put them on a spectrum analyser to measure the TX or used a RF sig gen to measure the sensitivity.

In itself its not an issue, they are what they are I suppose. What is the issue is the price you're paying. You're paying > 1/3 the price of a Kenwood TS480 for a single band radio. The Stryker SR995 is $389, the Kenwood TS480SAT is $929. They should be better. A lot better.

Lovely.
OK, a few things out of context.
If you read and look at the testing...

You say:
That is quite horrific and typically equivalent to those $17 chinese VHF HTs
The author of the testing says:

Harmonic suppression, while not brilliant on second harmonics, is acceptable. Third harmonics suppression is excellent.

Harmonic suppression varies between acceptable and very good

quite horrific?

while not brilliant on second harmonics, is acceptable.

Third harmonics suppression is excellent.
Little bit of a difference in opinion don't you think?

The Anytone 5555 chassis is marketed under several names.

It is cheap compared to the Stryker ( funny how you pick one of the most expensive exports to compare) you are talking about at the end of your post.
And then compare it to a $1000 Kenwood.

Lets just quote and look at the Pros ( i will conveniently only point out the good things as it seems acceptable to your line of thinking.LOL )

The pros:

Low price for such a powerful all-mode radio,
Good build quality,
PC Programmable,
Good sensitivity,
Hardly any drift (if any), excellent frequency accuracy,
Harmonic suppression varies between acceptable and very good
Excellent TX and RX audio,
CW capable,
Menu-driven system, can be tailored to meet personal preferences,
SWR measurement and protection,
Scanner (slow, about 3 chan/sec).
‘Auto Squelch’, great for mobile use.
Price in NL, including VAT: € 192,39, which included programming cable and software. Dealer: hamradioshop.nl.

I will not continue to go on with you on the subject, but this is a fact.
Many of these radios end up on the 10/12 meter bands, that are relatively inexpensive, and most operators can not tell the difference on-the-air.
M0, you have your opinions about these radios, some will agree, and others will disagree with you.....life goes on.
Again, I remind you that this IS the Export radio section.
Thanks for your unbiased input.

Jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
You have to be from the south Jeff..

Live up in the Sierras here in Norcal, but I appreciate the good words.

Jeff

"hell I remember when me n Abe Simpson was buffalo hunting back in umteen and dickety do and only had 2 corncobs and a dilithium crystal to build a quantum railgun, almost ripped the space time continuum first time we lit the damn thing off, you know what happened to the buffalo....."

Yes however it wasn't I that brought up comparing a CB to a Yaecomwood.

As regards to performance, this is an interesting review:

Review Superstar SS6900N V6 | Ham Radio Blog PD0AC

Sensitivity
AM: – 117 dBm
FM: – 118 dBm
SSB: -125 dBm

First of all, why are they not all the same? Secondly, never seen a Yaecomwood that deaf.

Harmonic suppression:
Here we ran into some problems. When measuring the harmonic suppression, I immediately noticed some peaks left and right of the carrier. To get a better picture of what was happening there I reduced the frequency span. This is what appeared on the spectrum analyzer screen:

ss6900n-mixer-products.jpg

That is quite horrific and typically equivalent to those $17 chinese VHF HTs. Its interesting to note that he tested a second export radio and got similar if not as bad results and then tested a type approved one and they were far better with third harmonic being unnoticeable.

I wonder how many of those saying the export radios are as good as the Yaecomwoods have ever bothered to put them on a spectrum analyser to measure the TX or used a RF sig gen to measure the sensitivity.

In itself its not an issue, they are what they are I suppose. What is the issue is the price you're paying. You're paying > 1/3 the price of a Kenwood TS480 for a single band radio. The Stryker SR995 is $389, the Kenwood TS480SAT is $929. They should be better. A lot better.

Surprise surprise, you misread most of what the guy was telling you, another point Jeff missed as he like you probably isn't familiar with the standard cb he compared it too, a stabo,now let's see,who builds them, oh that's right that's Germany's equivalent to President and Uniden made,so you have a newcomer compared to a company that's been top of the tree for more than 3 decades.

As for your summation of how pish exports are,enter the Alinco DR 135DX, a new hf monoband 10m from one of the biggest amateur manufacturers,and guess what,its a cre 8900 in disguise, so obviously Alinco think you talk shyte too.How long till a Kenwood TS 6900 or Icom IC Lincoln 2 appear?,lmao

Everytime you type you just expose more of your ignorance,you really haven't got a clue,your more confused than fucking Scooby Doo. :headbang :headbang :headbang

Just out of curiosity, how do you measure sensitivity with a signal generator,its not a measuring device its a signal source, that's like saying you measure sensitivity with another radio,lmao. Try a radio test set, sinad meter or a true rms reading multimeter,preferrably one that reads in dbm and ac millivolts or a distortion meter.

Your fond of quoting other peoples work, have a read at this you might learn something

Receiver Sensitivity Measuring Methods

But I doubt it as like everything written its open to interpretation and when you choose the parts you like and ignore the facts you don't that's generally how you interperet things in Conor world.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated