• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Set UP HELP!

speterson1011

Oct 30, 2009
So i'm about to upgrade to a Wilson 1000 roof mount from a lil wil. I'm running a 110watt 1pill amp on a cobra 19 ultra III tuned at 10watts. Will this set up work decent? All criticism welcome. Thanks in advanced everyone

The antenna is a huge upgrade, however 10 watts carrier into a single transistor (depending on which one it is) does not leave much breathing room, if that is Modulated power then you should do well.

Later if/when able your next upgrade should be a little better radio, a nice old 148GTL (Side Mic) or even one of the more feature rich AM only chassis would be another very worthwhile upgrade (y)

So i'm about to upgrade to a Wilson 1000 roof mount from a lil wil. I'm running a 110watt 1pill amp on a cobra 19 ultra III tuned at 10watts. Will this set up work decent? All criticism welcome. Thanks in advanced everyone
The radio is now doing 10 watts. Which is fine, unless you are considering using power. Do you mean 10 watts PEP - or dead key watts? If it is 10 watts PEP - that would be just fine.

I for one don't use a linear, I just use an export radio with the Wilson 1000. Upgrading to different radios is a process met by opportunities and choices. I had no idea that I was to find a Galaxy 99V until the opportunity presented itself. An older Cobra 148GTL would also be an excellent choice. But going to a more powerful radio will mean that you may have outgrown your 1 pill amp.

I am sure that you will see a large difference between those two antennas. I'm not saying the Lil Wil is a bad antenna - as I never owned one. I replaced a K-40 with the Wilson 1000. There was a VAST difference between them. BTW- a K-40 isn't a bad antenna either. But the Wilson 1000 is outstanding.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.