• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New to Ham. 10m and 2m questions

ncskipboy90

Feb 1, 2009
Been messing with cb for a few years and there is just no fun to it. Want to get into ham but have a few questions about 10m and 2m.

What licence is required to operate on 10m? Also other than the radio its self what equipment will I need to be able to get all across the US? Trying to do this on a relatively low budget to begin with but would like a setup worth having.

Also approx how far can you pick up 2m signals from? Getting ready to start studying for my 1st ham test and not sure if i should worry about getting a 2m or try to pass the other test to work 10m. :confused:

Been messing with cb for a few years and there is just no fun to it. Want to get into ham but have a few questions about 10m and 2m.

What licence is required to operate on 10m? Also other than the radio its self what equipment will I need to be able to get all across the US? Trying to do this on a relatively low budget to begin with but would like a setup worth having.

With a Technician license you can operate SSB in a narrow portion of the 10M band (28.3-28.5 MHz) -- and you can operate CW and data. With a General class license you have a lot more choices and greater amounts of spectrum. You'll need a radio and an antenna.

Also approx how far can you pick up 2m signals from? Getting ready to start studying for my 1st ham test and not sure if i should worry about getting a 2m or try to pass the other test to work 10m.

2 meters (all VHF and higher bands) are essentially line of sight range. However, repeaters and good antennas can greatly extend this.

The Technician license gets you both a portion of 10M and just about everything above.

:confused:

Good luck.

It sounds like you are going for the Technician class license. But don't stop there, keep going and get the General class at least. That would open up a bunch more bands for use than just small portions of 10 meters and VHF/UHF bands.
For your questions...
For 10 meters you would need a radio and antenna (just like CB, almost). Same thing for 2 meters, or any band. Most ham radios are more than just a one band thingy. They cover from 160 meters to 10 meters, and a few cover all bands (more costly though). Most of the VHF/UHF radios come in several varieties ranging from hand-helds, to mobiles, to 'base' radios. And then there's the 'used' market. I think it would be a pretty good idea to get catalogues from the various dealers, AES, HRO, and whatever else you can find. That'll give you anidea of what's available and prices (sit down before looking at those prices :)).
As for antennas, they can range from just plain old wire to self-tuning thingys you definitely have to sit down before looking at the prices. And from there, it's just a matter of what you think you may be interested in trying, CW, digital modes, TV, almost anything you can think of.
Best advice is to get a 'taste' of things before visiting the bank to buy stuff, you've got lots of options.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

To Operate full use of 10 meter band you will require a General's license
(Tech class has only limited use on 10 meter band as well as reduced power a tech is allowed to use )..

In regards to your question whether you should concentrate on learning what you need for 10 meter or pay attention to 2 meter..

You first are required to take and pass Tech class exam.
Only then can you then take ( and try to pass & general class )

Whether you decide to want to have access to the entire 10 meter band or not may answer whether you pass/take only the tech test or also to take and pass general (after once passing tech ).

If you decide to stay only with the tech entry level license ..
Then as far as what equipment to get..
You need tell us...
Will you be mobile...base or portable set up..
(each has its own requirements )..

Now as far as to... how far you can hear or reach out to 2 meter signals...the short answer is 5 to 300 miles (typically ).
again..would depend upon..Base..Mobile or Portable but also if direct line of site and or through use of repeaters..

let us know

So i can get across the entire US without an amp or anything other equipment on 10m?

My first 10m DX was Mexico and South America.

Oh, by the way, most foreign ham operators speak English, unlike CB.

100w out of an HF transceiver goes a long way.

Poke around, Kenwood TS520s and Yaesu FT101s are quite cheap. Best of all, you'll learn how to properly deal with tubes!

Cheers.

The only thing that radio has going for it is it's cheap. What it has working against it is that it is an older radio and won't be very easy to repair. You want to be careful of any older radio. Parts, especially proprietary ones, are very difficult to come by sometimes. Tubes are also scarce sort of thingys anymore.
- 'Doc

Are there any other decent radios under $200? And whats the down side of a radio without AM?

On 10 meters there is no down side less thsn 1% of HAMS use AM on 10 meters. DX is good right now on 10 meters you can work the world on 100 watts

You never know even on 2 meters what the DX gods will give you ....

Attachments

• ft840.jpg
    ft840.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 387
  • 2meterdxx.jpg
    2meterdxx.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 333
  • qsl2.jpg
    qsl2.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 496
  • r722.jpg
    r722.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 367
Are there any other decent radios under $200? And whats the down side of a radio without AM?

I know it was stated earlier in this thread,.... but,... TECH's do NOT have AM 10 meter privliges.

you do not HAVE to take the elements "in order",... TECH, GENERAL, AMATEUR EXTRA,..... but, ASSUMING you are considering the TECH license (you must pass the TECH element before you use any "higher" class (general/amateur extra) passed elements privliges).

Good timing!

Beg, barrow or steal a radio that covers 10m and put up a modest wire antenna, nothing fancy.

The ARRL 10 Meter contest is coming up.

"Second full weekend of December. Starts 0000 UTC Saturday; runs through 2359 UTC Sunday (December 10 – 11, 2011)."

Listening will give you a chance to see what it is all about. Admittedly it will be the busiest 10m will be all year. As you listen lookup the callsigns and see where the operator is located.

The link covers all the details of the contest.

10 Meter

hookedon6,
And just to keep things straight, you can't use any of those 'higher' class privileges until you pass those class tests. If you don't have a CSCE for the Technician class license, you can't have a CSCE (or credit) for a higher class license. It's a 'step' function, you have to pass each license class in order.
- 'Doc

hookedon6,
And just to keep things straight, you can't use any of those 'higher' class privileges until you pass those class tests. If you don't have a CSCE for the Technician class license, you can't have a CSCE (or credit) for a higher class license. It's a 'step' function, you have to pass each license class in order.
- 'Doc

actually DOC, you don't have to follow any particular order.

a CSCE can be issued for ANY element that is passed in any order.

as a VE, I "encourage" the applicants to follow Tech, General, Amateur Extra order,....... but,..... if they still insist, I will proctor any element requested.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated