• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Yaesu Ft-991 HF/VHF/UHF Base & Mobile Rig

You might want to sit down Brett....lol

The rig should be available for shipping in about two weeks. MSRP is $1800!! Selling on the street for $1699.00+- a few bucks. With the FT-1200DX down to $1199.00 I may have to re-think buying the FT-991 since I was going to use it as a base radio.

:) Stopped in at HRO in Atlanta today, and they confirm your price. NONE in stock, and they don't know when they will get any. Also said Yaesu did not bring one to their Open House/Vendor day recently. The fella I talked to said their price is not "firm" and they are having to wait to see what market reaction is to the rig. Also said it was a replacement for the 897D, which I think everyone already knew. I suspect that if they do a rebate, then it will knock it down a hundred or two hundred. Really wanted to see one in person, but for now will probably keep my Kenwood V71A in the mobile and add my Icom IC-718 to the mix with a hamstick or two. Not ready to pay nearly 700 bucks for a Little Tarheel and controller at this time.

And maybe you should reconsider the Kenwood TS-2000 for your do-it all base? $1,429.95 at HRO. I've heard some on the air, the owners sure like them. They guys I have talked to sounded very good with just a quality mic and no outboard audio... just the internal eq settings via a computer.

Brett

Last edited:
I'm just not getting what slot Yaesu thinks the FT-991 is going to fill or other rigs it will compete with. It's listed as mobile/base and at 8x9x10" it's a tiny rig but no detachable face like the Alinco DXSR9T or the IC-7100 which is also HF/VHF/UHF. Unless they drop the price by $500 it doesnlt work for me . I'll go with the Alinco for the truck and later on the FT-1200DX for a base.

Last edited:
Reactions: w9cll
I'm just not getting what slot Yaesu thinks the FT-991 is going to fill or other rigs it will compete with. It's listed as mobile/base and at 8x9x10" it's a tiny rig but no detachable face like the Alinco DXSR9T or the IC-7100 which is also HF/VHF/UHF. Unless they drop the price by $500 it doesnlt work for me . I'll go with the Alinco for the truck and later on the FT-1200DX for a base.

Well, like I said the HRO guy told me it was a direct replacement for the 897D. I guess being able to run battery power (to clarify, battery power from within the rig itself) with it was not a deal-breaker for the marketing guys. I mentioned the detachable face thing, and he said he "thought" they might add it at a later date, but I don't think that's realistic. The little Icom 7100 is just funky to me, with the head unit being such an odd shape, and think I'd rather have a 7000 if I were to go that route. What I DO like about the 991 is the fact that is has a larger readout on it than the previous Yaesu mobiles and base/mobiles. As mentioned earlier, I think I'm just going to use the IC-718 in my truck along with the Kenwood TM-V71A. Now I just have to figure out what the heck I'm going to do for an antenna. See the "thread from the dead" that I just revived. lol

Brett

Last edited:

I think more on the line of the 746 Pro II or the TS-2000(which I hear is about to go Bye-Bye!)
I am saving my "pennies" for Dayton specials....and a few productions runs down the road(make sure it's debugged!)
All the Best
Gary

I think more on the line of the 746 Pro II or the TS-2000(which I hear is about to go Bye-Bye!)
I am saving my "pennies" for Dayton specials....and a few productions runs down the road(make sure it's debugged!)
All the Best
Gary

Well yeah Gary, you're already radio poor. ;) Might as well wait it out.

Brett

Reactions: BJ radionut

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.