• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie Base Station Setup diagram

I now have questions as to what type of pole to use for my antenna mast. I may have access to a 25' galvanized steel pipe but am worried that it might be too heavy. If I use this 25' galvanized steel pipe, I will be using 3 or 4 guy wires to support it. Will this be enough?

There will be an IMAX 2000 on top as well...

this quote from your link .................

"Direct modes (line-of-sight)

Line-of-sight is the direct propagation of radio waves between antennas that are visible to each other. This is probably the most common of the radio propagation modes at VHF and higher frequencies. Because radio signals can travel through many non-metallic objects, radio can be picked up through walls. This is still line-of-sight propagation. Examples would include propagation between a satellite and a ground antenna or reception of television signals from a local TV transmitter."

...................... doesnt support your claim and it fact it states the opposite . maybe i missed what you were refering to though . could you please cut and paste what you feel supports your claim from your link .

also , i wouldnt consider wikipedia a premium source of RF information .

will85w4 , 3 or 4 guys on that pipe should be adaquate if you use good guy materials and have solid anchoring points for them .

my main concern is the overhead power lines that are near the intended installation site.

you guys in the Palm Springs area get some very strong winds, and if that antenna broke in the wind and hit those power lines, your world would be F!@%ed!.

it would be best to choose another side of the house to mount the antenna on so it cant hit the power lines if it falls.

also, with the antenna being only about 15 feet off the ground, you are going to be overloading your neighbors' TV's, computer speakers, etc...

you need to get that IMAX up more than 30 feet at the base of the antenna.

your chances of ever having a QSO with your dad with that setup are VERY slim.
this is not to say you shouldnt try, heck, we always need more radio heads. LOL

seriously though, even if skip conditions are just right to communicate from CA to WA, you are going to be covered up by all the other stronger stations out there.
your best bet is to try a channel that is outside the normal 40 channels, but even then, there will be other stations on those freqs.

you might be wondering exactly what type of setup you would need to have a good chance of reaching your dad when the skip conditions permit.

well, first off, you should have a beam antenna. that beam antenna needs to be up in the air at least 40-50 feet. you would also want an amplifier.
500 watts+ would be good.

if you had a setup like this, you would stand a decent chance of making the contact when the skip conditions permit.

we all have to start somewhere, and i wish you the best with your current setup.
who knows, you might get lucky!

just be sure to be safe!!!
LC

Hello Will85, I noticed that tall tree in what looks like it might be your front yard. If it's at all possible to install your IMAX in that tree, it will make a big difference in your coverage area.

line of sight and ground wave are two different things. When you are in New York and can hear the grand ole opry out of Nashville at nite, that is ground wave. Ground wave the rf follows the curve of the earth, line sight does not. Because 27 megs is low vhf, sometimes you can get a little thermal ducting effect to increase you range.
Rich

Will85's Base Station

Get your antenna 25-30 feet off the ground. Install 3-4 guy wires. DO NOT MESS WITH ANY LINEAR AMPLIFICATION!! Lets start you off with a basic Radio Station, and take it from there. You will be surprised at how well and how much you can hear. I used to talk to So. Cal. all the time with that President Washington, when conditions were right. I was using a Sirio Vector 4000 7/8 Wave 40 feet off the ground. Also NO LINEAR POWER AMPLIFICATION!!. P.S. As they have stated here GOOD QUALITY COAX IS IMPERATIVE.

Do you have a suggestion for coax? I saw another post of yours recommending to look online at Ham Radio Outlet...any specifics?
I am also on limited budget, so, the cheaper the price the better, but I still would like quality...:confused:

Times/Microwave brand LMR-240 Ultra-flex is $.82/ft @ Ham Radio Outlet - xlnt coax!
Cable Xperts RG-213 is another - same place.
I would say to get either one of these.
If you have the antenna 30 ft up - a pre-made cable (that will include the connectors) @50 ft length should be enough.
About $50 to $60 - somewhere close to that...

I use Belden 9913Flex; but that is $1.20/ft - a bit pricey/but nicey.
But not necessary...

Hello Will85, I noticed that tall tree in what looks like it might be your front yard. If it's at all possible to install your IMAX in that tree, it will make a big difference in your coverage area.

Not my tree unfortunately...plus that tree gets whipped around a lot in the wind, probably not the best idea for the antenna.

By the way, what's up Thumper?

line of sight and ground wave are two different things. When you are in New York and can hear the grand ole opry out of Nashville at nite, that is ground wave. Ground wave the rf follows the curve of the earth, line sight does not. Because 27 megs is low vhf, sometimes you can get a little thermal ducting effect to increase you range.
Rich

By the time you get to 27 MHz in frequency, the ground waves ability to reach beyond the horizon has vanished. For all practical purposes that makes ground wave on CB the same as line of sight. When you are in New York and hear Nashville 800 miles away that definitely is not ground wave even if it's in the broadcast band. It's the signal refracting off layers of the ionosphere and bouncing back to earth. The 27 MHz CB band is not low VHF, it is the high end of the HF spectrum.

i owe you an apology n8fgb . doing some searching on the www i apparently dont really understand ground waves propigation .

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=231903

Propagation of Waves

Radio Propagation & Aurora

i apologize .

it seems ground wave propigation favors low and mid frequencys and the high frequencys dont benefit or make use of it . it also seems line of site will cover the curvature of the earth slightly because of things in the atsmophere . so what i was calling ground waves was actualy line of sight .

thank you for pointing out my mistake so i dont contiue to make it ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
good luck will 85w4 on geting your radio setup hope to hear you on the air waves soon.You need to try to get your antenna away from them power lines tho it will interfear with your transmit and recieve.

I agree I would stay away from the powerlines. If the antenna would fall while you were setting it up that could be a bad combination. I do recommend putting it as hight as possible though. Good Luck!(y)

good luck will 85w4 on geting your radio setup hope to hear you on the air waves soon.You need to try to get your antenna away from them power lines tho it will interfear with your transmit and recieve.

The #1 killer of new and old radio operators alike, is getting KILLED by an antenna that accidentally drops on a power line when installing.

PLEASE have a couple of friends help you and BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

Attachments

• danger_overhead_electrical_power_lines.gif.jpg
    danger_overhead_electrical_power_lines.gif.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 99
The #1 killer of new and old radio operators alike, is getting KILLED by an antenna that accidentally drops on a power line when installing.

PLEASE have a couple of friends help you and BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

Thank you for the advice guys, I will exercise extreme caution during the installation process.

I will set everything up on the ground first, then raise the complete setup (mast and antenna) and secure it to the the clothesline pole. That way I avoid using ladders and reduce the potential risk for more hazards.

i owe you an apology will85w4 . doing some searching on the www i apparently dont really understand ground waves propigation .

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?t=231903

Propagation of Waves

Radio Propagation & Aurora

i apologize .

it seems ground wave propigation favors low and mid frequencys and the high frequencys dont benefit or make use of it . it also seems line of site will cover the curvature of the earth slightly because of things in the atsmophere . so what i was calling ground waves was actualy line of sight .

thank you for pointing out my mistake so i dont contiue to make it ;)
That,s my Elmer coming out. Like to help people understand what thier radio is doing.
Rich

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.