• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Nightmare Property for Antenna Placement (HELP!)

Jim Dickey

That's my real name.
Jun 17, 2017
Sandpoint, ID
So I just got my tech license and am modifying a Cobra 139XLR to play on 10M and CB frequencies. I was able to procure a NIB 1970s Avanti Astro-Plane Antenna which is 12' tall but 8' of it hangs below the top of the mast. This antenna radiates from the top at an upward angle. I'm planning on digging a 3.5-4' deep post hole which will have a 1.25" ID PVC pipe in the center and then concrete around it so I can slip the 22' tall 1.25" OD steel mast into it so I can raise and lower the antenna easily to make changes to antennas mounted on the mast. I'm gonna drive a ground spike into the ground about 6' deep right next to the hole and attach it to the mast with a removable ground strap. This is for lightning protection (actually pretty rare here in North Idaho, I can probably count on one hand how many lightning storms we have a year) and because Avanti recommends DC grounding for the antenna.

Anyway, the property where I am currently residing has A LOT of powerlines around it. I need to mount the antenna right on the fence line somewhere to make yardwork for the property owner easier. Please see the crudely drawn map of the utilities lines below and see if you can come up with a good spot to put this sucker in the ground.

Many thanks!
antmap.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.