• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

No parasitic chokes, chambers a round at the end

Ain't CB for the outlaws? Don't outlaws pack heat?

I actually wouldn't really notice, if these things weren't pointed out. Guns are fairly common place, in my part of the world, so it doesn't strike me as an oddity or a novelty when they show up in videos or pictures.

Yeah, it's a "Murica" thing, particularly in the Southern states. In the mid-90's, back when I was in high school, the "no guns on school grounds" rule was largely ignored during hunting season. If they didn't ignore it, they would have had to arrest about 98% of the male student body (and a decent percentage of the female student body) on the 1st school day of hunting season. Either that, or they would have just had to start classes at noon.

Well, yeah. I don't much like hunting. The idea of getting up before the sun, on cold morning, to go hide in the woods, and wait, just hoping that some creature that I can shoot will just happen to walk by.... nah. Unappealing to me. I also don't much care for the butchering process.

That said, I have no moral opposition to hunting. In fact, I want to obtain a huntable property, so my friends can hunt there, and keep my freezer stocked with tasty deer meat, lol.

What the fucks with the gun inuendo on the repair videos these days?
First Mike now this?
click 25:30

Can you briefly describe a parasitic choke and its purpose? (is it a resistor?)
I'm unfamiliar with the term, google just doesn't show much, thank you.

About the guns, well showing a force multiplier like that will scare off the potential bullies looking for a weak target. A lot of YouTube and social media drama happens, so I think they just want to send a clear message: "Don't fuck with me, I'm ready."

Last edited:
Reactions: Sarasota Slim
What should he have done?
How would you have done it?

Better filter capacitors. I dislike a long string of cheap electrolytic HV caps and much prefer one or two series large value HV caps preferably oil filled types but they are pricey. Also if one is going to use a string of caps like he has then don't use cheap electrolytics and opt for the better quality units with low ESR to minimize voltage drop. Hard to tell but from the looks of his meter he drops about 800 volts or more from no load to full load. Also running from the 120 volt line is not the best idea either. I realize he is simply in it for the money but since you asked what would I do, I felt compelled to answer. I presently have a "little" project of my own and it will run from the 240 volt line and has 55 uF of oil filled HV caps for filtering. Voltage drop is yet to be determined from actual use but that is a long time off. The power supply is just ready for initial powering up...........when I get the nerve to do it. :eek: 4500 volts at 2 amps and variac fed.

Reactions: LeapFrog and Robb
Wouldn't it be better to build your own oil caps? Higher capacity; low maintenance? Surely, some have been down this path. I know some of the older radios use this method. Fewer down sides?

These are mine. One 100uf at 2500 volts in series with one 80uf at 2500 volts with three 8uf and a 4uf in parallel to equal two equivalent caps of 110uf each for 55uf total. I could have gotten away with just the 100uf and the 80uf but the voltages would have divided unequally leaving me with a maximum plate voltage of 4000 volts before exceeding the ratings of one of the caps. I had them so why not clean house and put them to use? 20170120_153245.jpg

Reactions: LeapFrog

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.