• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

No parasitic chokes, chambers a round at the end

These are mine. One 100uf at 2500 volts in series with one 80uf at 2500 volts with three 8uf and a 4uf in parallel to equal two equivalent caps of 110uf each for 55uf total. I could have gotten away with just the 100uf and the 80uf but the voltages would have divided unequally leaving me with a maximum plate voltage of 4000 volts before exceeding the ratings of one of the caps. I had them so why not clean house and put them to use? View attachment 20312
Now, that is what I'm talking about right there.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Can anyone recommend a good book for someone interested in learning about vacuum tubes and amplifier designs?

Any edition of The Radio Amateur's Handbook especially those editions prior to 2000 will have all you need to know about more than you care to know. LOL Starts with basic tube and solid state theory up to and including construction projects for high voltage power supplies and tube amplifiers, antennas, and station accessories.

Reactions: LeapFrog
Any edition of The Radio Amateur's Handbook especially those editions prior to 2000 will have all you need to know about more than you care to know. LOL Starts with basic tube and solid state theory up to and including construction projects for high voltage power supplies and tube amplifiers, antennas, and station accessories.
Thank you, Captain Kilowatt

Last edited:
At 00:56 he says they were under the impression that it could be an issue with the plate transformer. He troubleshot that by replacing it....WOW

At 1:18 he says "2 of the bleeder resistors had gone to a complete open so they were a dead short." Then goes on to say those shorted resistors were bypassing half of the electrolytics and popped the others.

At 2:14 he talks about someone bypassing the plate choke. LOL. When Mr BBI repaired it he decided to leave the glitch resistor out...must not be important.

At 3:50 he's comparing the GI7b to a 3-500z. He says the filament voltages are close. Bullshit. A 3-500z is 5 volts +/- .25 volts. A GI7b is 12.6 volts. Since when is 2.5 times the voltage close.

At 4:14 you see wizard used a meter scaled for ma on the plate voltage. Why would Mr BBI trust that meter to be accurate. I guess printing out a new scale for that meter would have cut into Wizzards profits too much. As would a choke to ground after the plate blocking cap. If it electrocutes someone that shouldn't have bee using an illegal CB amp to begin with, right Wizzard?

---- skipped the part where he plays with the watt meters ----

At 17:38 he increases the value of the bleeders from 25k ohm to 62k ohms to "put less pressure on the power supply" That sure didn't help the HV regulation but he's trying to compensate for running the thing on 120vac and it may have an underrated plate transformer.

Just look at 20:19.....Yeah, he is that stupid.

At 20:30 he explains how he is a "watt meter ninja"

Then I skipped around to get past the watt meter swinging session.

This is why I am a fan of his. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: tecnicoloco and 357
How about "The Radio Handbook" by William Orr.

Bill worked for Eimac for years, knew as much about using tubes as RF power amplifiers as anyone ever could. The book covers a lot more than just that subject, but has a lot of useful 'rule of thumb' info on tube linear design.

The last edition I have is twenty-third. I have a ninth edition from 1946, but that was before Bill came on board for this title. It's full of designs from the 1930s, using neutralized push-pull power triodes. And none of it "linear". Sideband was still around the corner.

Even better than the ARRL "Radio Amateur's Handbook" editions from the 1960s to late 1970s. Learned a lot from those, must admit.

How about "The Radio Handbook" by William Orr.

Bill worked for Eimac for years, knew as much about using tubes as RF power amplifiers as anyone ever could. The book covers a lot more than just that subject, but has a lot of useful 'rule of thumb' info on tube linear design.

The last edition I have is twenty-third. I have a ninth edition from 1946, but that was before Bill came on board for this title. It's full of designs from the 1930s, using neutralized push-pull power triodes. And none of it "linear". Sideband was still around the corner.

Even better than the ARRL "Radio Amateur's Handbook" editions from the 1960s to late 1970s. Learned a lot from those, must admit.

Good book. Not sure what edition but I have a copy.

RR CK....Same goes for antennas....
Theory and test proven antenna design...mean nothing...
Used on 11m automatically means "Unlimited Multiplication Power Factors" and with Db gain computations...Far beyond those of Mortal Men:rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
Big Coil Mobile antennas (or any 11m mobile antenna) has More Gain than Full Size Base Antenna....:love::D
All Base Antennas, be it Vertical, or Beams...have more Gain than a 20 Element Sturba Curtain at 100 ft:love::D...
Enough fun for a Monday morning:whistle::):):)
All the Best
Gary

Big Coil Mobile antennas (or any 11m mobile antenna) has More Gain than Full Size Base Antenna....:love::D
One time on 19 I actually had a guy believing that the exposed coil antennas worked better because as the signal spun up that coil the centrifugal force would throw it out farther than a straight antenna could.:whistle:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.