1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Noise Blanker Video: Elecraft K3 vs. Yaesu FT-1000MP

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by Moleculo, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Moleculo

Moleculo
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

This is a pretty video good demonstration comparing the effectiveness of the Noise Blanker of two rigs: the Elecraft K3 and the Yaesu FT-1000MP. I had a similar experience comparing the K3 to the Icom 746 Pro, although I never made a video before I sold the 746.

Elecraft K3 Noise Blanker demo at K2XT - YouTube

1 person likes this.

2. TonyV225

TonyV225
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Im speachless!! That is crazy what a difference there was and I guess if you live in an area where you have heavy electrical noise / interference then the K3 would be the way to go or start.

3. Mudfoot

Mudfoot
    Expand Collapse

Gotta like that.

4. Mudfoot

Mudfoot
    Expand Collapse

I have a leaky insulator about 200 yards away that causes me trouble. AEP is waiting to schedule a crew to come out and replace the whole arm with new hardware.

Anyway, here's a vid showing my TS-590's NB in action. I am using the NB then the noise reduction.

MVI_0060.mp4 video by m42duster - Photobucket

5. N0NB

N0NB
    Expand Collapse

I had some horrid line noise on 160m last fall for for a time and it took a bit of tweaking, but once dialed in my K3 handled it so that maksed signals were Q5. Fortunately, it was fixed at some point and I've only had to use the NB sparingly. I did find that for certain types of noise that I've encountered sometimes the hardware NB is better suited than the DSP NB and sometimes both in concert are needed.

I recall many years ago working on a TS-700A 2m all mode transceiver where the NB was ineffective. Fortunately, it had an internal adjustment and once tweaked worked well. I've had some rigs that worked well and some not, but the K3 has the most adjustment of any I've owned so far.