• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OKAY I NEED SERVICE MANUAL FOR COURIER CENTURION PLL 40 CH

Retro CB Guy

Jun 22, 2014
FOLKS, I plan to have my tech align fully my Courier Centurion PLL ssb 40 channel base soon but don't really see the service manual out there yet.

This is the 40 channel rotary dial ssb base CB. It's got extra channels uppers already. It's close on alignments, just want my veteran tech to be sure he has the appropiate documents...

I saw where it appears to be in Sams Photofact 290 but haven't confirmed that yet.

Please someone have this info it would be so awesome if you could pass along that to me, RETRO 73's

Here she is so you can see !!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• AWESOME Courier Centurion PLL base I own 1.jpg
    AWESOME Courier Centurion PLL base I own 1.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 37
  • AWESOME Courier Centurion PLL base I own 2.jpg
    AWESOME Courier Centurion PLL base I own 2.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 39
seems like that SAMS is still pretty sought after, and there aren't really any radios that are similar enough to use as a guide.
Its an old 858 chassis, but is just different enough from its counterparts to be a problem.

i do see a schematic for it, maybe that could help?
what exactly do you want to find in the service manual?
LC

seems like that SAMS is still pretty sought after, and there aren't really any radios that are similar enough to use as a guide.
Its an old 858 chassis, but is just different enough from its counterparts to be a problem.

i do see a schematic for it, maybe that could help?
what exactly do you want to find in the service manual?
LC
How to set the bias would be #1 right now

I found some info....I don't see RT22 and RT20 is on the backside of the board..
I see no test points and would have to guess how to set it.

Model: Courier Centurion PLL40 & 40D

RT1=RF Gain Range Adjust
RT2=AM AGC Adjust
RT4=AM Receive "S" Meter
RT21=SSB Rx Sensitivity
RT6=SSB Receive "S" Meter

RT12=AM Squelch Range Adjust
RT11=SSB Squelch Range Adjust

RT19=TX Frequency Adjust
RT8=SSB Carrier Balance
RT9=SSB ALC (Modulation) Adjust (I think this is RT601 on the 40D)
CT3=SSB RF ALC (Power) Adjust
RT14=AM Power Adjust
RT15=Transmit RF Meter Adjust

RT22=Driver Bias (20 mA) ??
RT20=Final Bias (35mA)

Receive Adjust SSB=L3,L4,L5,L6,L7,L28,L29,FT1 (Adjust Receive In SSB Mode for Maximum performance)
Transmit Adjust SSB=L15,L19,L24,L26 (Adjust Transmit In SSB Mode for Maximum performance)
L26 to L19 seems a more logical tuning direction.

Last edited:
ok, going off of what you posted and the schematic, here is what i find:

RX alignment: L3, L4, L5, L6, and L7 adjusted in that order on SSB. (use L4 to balance)
L27, L28, and L29 should be adjusted in AM mode.
Im not sure what they are referring to with the FT1 adjustment, but sometimes there are adjustable tuning cans inside an IF filter (like 8719 chassis), but i would not mess with them unless they had already been messed with previously.
if you had to do it, best way would be to remove it from the chassis, and connect a sig gen to the input at the right IF freq. and then a scope on the output, and then adjust the can(s) for max. again, only if you really think it's been messed with.

TX alignment: L26, L24, L19, and L15 in that order. (use L24 to balance)

im only seeing a bias adjustment for the final, which is RT20, and some versions dont even have that.

here is a more readable schematic. it says it's for the gladiator, but it looks pretty much identical to your 40D.
http://www.vkham.com/Info/manuals/d858/Gladiator schematic 1.jpg

to adjust the final bias, you would lift the end of L17 that connects to the mode switch (not the end that goes to the collector of the final) and put your current meter between L17 and the PC board pad that you just removed it from.
then use RT20 to set it for 35mA.

I can't really help with how to adjust L1 and L2 for the noise blanker without any service info, but unless you think they have been messed with, i would leave them alone.
best of luck with it, it looks like this radio should have a really nice receiver!
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated