• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old 4 place serial number Galaxy DX 88HL

Chevboy0167

Apr 5, 2017
Hello all. New to this site but not radios. Been a ham since 98. Any ways, I was about to post a help thread on this old DX 88HL I have. The serial is 007987. When I got it, had the typical freq. counter,display noise when turned on. You could hear it in the transmit audio and outside the radio when on. This is the very early production EPT210010A board. Did a realignment of said board and couldn't get just right so I rebuilt it. ALL new low ESR caps, metal film resistors, replaced all ICs, all ceramic caps and got it tuned perfect. No more audible counter whine but was still in transmit audio. Fallowed counter ground wire and would ya know it, right to the mic gain pot on front of radio. Removed ground from pot, ran longer wire to rear of PC board ground with a 1N4001 diode and BINGO! No noise at all. Total cost for board rebuild was like $40 and my own time just for what may have been bad ground location...... But she is ready to rock for 20 more yrs. LOL Counter and clarifier is dead nuts with no warm up time so far. If anybody has a similar older unit, look at the blue wire or pc ground in the 3 wire plug on freq. counter module. It may just need moved with added diode to shut her up! 73's and remember, I'm pulling for ya!

moving the wires around has been in a bulletin for years from galaxy for the old 88 radio. the old freq counter would put out a lot of noise at times. just had to move the wires around.

Well being this was only my 2nd Galaxy rig, I did all the digging and research for the repairs and mods as I could find. Never stumbled on the wire trick tho. Was still fun and a learning experience. I moved up to true ham rigs right after I got my ticket so I strayed from the exports. Easy to forget stuff as you cram new in! I do have an older 33HML that has problems but I think I may take to a true tech to diagnose/repair. Don't have time or more proper equipment, just a hobbyist when free time permits.

Reactions: Robb
here is an example of some of the info you can get.

Galaxy DX Radios
Model See text for Model
Chassis EPT3600-14B
Symptom Loud buzzing on RX that will becomes less if the dimmer control is turned down.
Cure Locate the blue wire on J103 pin 63 and move it away from wires going to the frequency display. This might require the pin to be removed from the connector and then reinserted after it is re-routed away from freq. display wiring.
Additional Comments Model All models with counter except DX88
Category RX
Posted By Galaxy Tech Support

Reactions: Robb and LeapFrog
Thanks Sonoma. I found that site last year. But it has been my Bible for the last month on that 88! I seen that tech note but thought it was for a new year model cuz it said "move from freq. display". But my wire was piggy back on mic gain pot. Guess it was in general area. All is well now. Got another thread to post. It is a mind blower!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.