• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Omega Force S 45 HP problem

jessejamesdallas

Apr 4, 2005
Republic of Texas
Has anyone had any problems with their Magnum S 45 HP's?

I just bought one a couple weeks ago and the thing has developed more problems than I can shake a stick at!

First after maybe the second day I had it hooked up, one morning I turned it on, and everything lit up like normal, only no RX or DX...Like the antenna was disconnected. But I left it turned on and after about a half hour it came to life, and worked perfect for several days...Then it did it again...one morning nothing for about a hour, then it started working...It's done that now maybe 3 or 4 times...

Next thing I notice, which is weird. is on the lower channels like around channel 1 threw 6, if I go to check the SWR when my Amp is turned on, the SWR meter pegs all the way in the RED...And if I go down to the D-Band the SWR is Pegged on the meter...

Here's whats even stranger...On all the other Bands (a.b.c.e,f etc.) the SWR is just fine...Just D and some of the lower channels on the CB Band have the problem...

Next problem to pop up, is on SSB...It's only swinging about 50w's...AM is close to 90w's...

Then there's the "Echo"...If the "Talk-Back" is anywhere close to accurate on what the echo sounds like on the Air...It totally sucks!

Got a email into RF Limited to see what I need to do as for as warranty go's. But I was wondering if anyone had ran into problems with their S 45's...

Before buying the radio I checked as many of the Forums as I could to see if anyone had had problems with these radios and found really nothing...

Waiting to hear back from Magnum INT'l...

There was a problematic batch of S-45's a few years ago but I have not heard of problems with the current ones.Of course it all depends of who has had their hands inside.Where did you buy it???

Rolling Radios...But don't think the problems are related to the seller...I've bought radios from him in the past and never ran into this...I contacted William first mater-a-fact, and since it's still new and under warranty he said I would have to contact RF Limited on getting it fixed under warranty...

Maybe just a lemon... And most of the problems maybe related, just hate having a New radio with more than one issue...

I have both the S-45 HP and the non-HP model. Never had a problem on either radio as you described. But then again; I don't run an amp with it either. If the radio is going into la-la land (no freq lock); then it might be a voltage problem to the CPU.

I have the newest Magnum S45HP I guess Where they use to say Omegaforce it says Magnum. Love it no problems. Mine does what the manaul says wattage wise. I guess I could turn it up but dont want problems.

I haven't had any problems with mine in over a year that I have owned it. I run mine with a Texas Star DX500 with no issues. Hope you get yours running right.

RT307

I had no problems with the S45HP I tested and I ran it for quite a while.

While it seems there has been a bad batch of Mag257HP's lately I haven't heard similar issues about the S-45HP.

I'd be interested to know what Rolling Radios did to it for a "tune". Those radios really don't require any tuning - a slight tweak to the modulation pot or ALC (and I'm talking minor) maybe but nothing else to do.

Hope you get it figured out man - when they are working right they get good reports and sound good on the air. The Magnum echo is one of the best on a stock radio so you shouldn't be having problems with that either.

For output the RFX75 units peak output does tend to drop off fairly quickly when they get hot. It may peak at 75 watts and then if you do some heavy talking for 20-30 mins you might notice the output has dropped off 10-15 watts. I noticed this with both the S45HP and 257HP.

Last edited:
I have had a few and had no issues with any of them Delta or Omega Force with and without the RFX75. I liked it so much I sold my brand new 257HP to get a used Omega again. Just a much better radio.

I had no problems with the S45HP I tested and I ran it for quite a while.

While it seems there has been a bad batch of Mag257HP's lately I haven't heard similar issues about the S-45HP.

I'd be interested to know what Rolling Radios did to it for a "tune". Those radios really don't require any tuning - a slight tweak to the modulation pot or ALC (and I'm talking minor) maybe but nothing else to do.

Hope you get it figured out man - when they are working right they get good reports and sound good on the air. The Magnum echo is one of the best on a stock radio so you shouldn't be having problems with that either.

For output the RFX75 units peak output does tend to drop off fairly quickly when they get hot. It may peak at 75 watts and then if you do some heavy talking for 20-30 mins you might notice the output has dropped off 10-15 watts. I noticed this with both the S45HP and 257HP.

Not sure what R.R. did as for as tuning go's, he did install a switch on the back so if I get long winded I can flip it and reduce the output from 90w's down to 50-60w's...This is so I don't drive the snot out of the Amp...

As for as the RFX getting hot and dropping off, I haven't noticed that happening...Mater-a-fact I haven't even noticed it getting very warm...

Still haven't herd back from anyone at RF Limited, guess I'll have to call them tomorrow and see what I need to do about the warranty. Thought they would answer their emails...

So he set up a switch to bypass the RFX75 so you can just run using the radio 2030's?

Be interesting to hear what Magnum will say about warranty on a radio that's been modded in that fashion.

My S-45HP is dickered

:censored: Ordered mine from Sparky's about a month ago. Worked well far as I know the first couple of days. Installed it in my mobile, and when transmitting on LSB after unkeying it would stay stuck in transmit with a 1-2 watt carrier. I tried grounding the radio itself, moving the negative ground off the batt, unhooking my sub amp, checking/rechecking all my connections with no better result. For some reason it works in the house.:confused:

I was seeing about 80-90 on SSB. It's been hovering around 45-50 for a little while now. Got on the radio today wanting to do some dx'ing and now she's only SWINGING TO 1 WATT! ^can not stand it^

I did open the radio not too long ago to have a look and the only thing I found were the solder blobs that I'm guessing provide a ground for the board have gone "cold".<?>

Hopefully the next one I get, if not this one, will work much better:headbang.

Attachments

• IMG_0078 (2) (640x480).jpg
    IMG_0078 (2) (640x480).jpg
    210 KB · Views: 19
Bad batch

Lets get some serial numbers of the bad 257HP and S-45HP so we can steer clear of them in the future. THose serial numbers that are OK and those that are bad.....
I have found that anything with a RX75 on it that does not have a fan to keep it cool will eventually croak and die. They need help if they are going to run over 40w PEP. The 20w FM limit says it all....
The earlier batch of S-45 HP's I got were mostly OK. Obviously something has changed.

I've got to say, I have a Cobra 29 with an RFX on it, and after some moderate/long qso's that thing has reached well over 170 degrees! This Magnum RFX has barely gotten even warm after/about the same amount of time. I ended up adding a fan to the 29, but after many checks on the Magnum, I couldn't see any need for adding a fan to it. Believe me that was one of the first things I thought when I bought the Mag.

Whatever is going on with my Mag is deffinately intermittant. Checked out the radio today and it was back to "normal" as far as wattage. Haven't called Sam yet but when I do I think I'll have whoever return the radio to factory spec and run it that way.

When will people learn that the RFX-75 was MEANT to be used at 70 watts/less and NOT 100 watts/more? When they do boast about how they even get 120 watts out of it one week, and the very next week they are crying about it broke and how bad it really is.

I also wonder how many are being honest about these failures being their fault, or really the fault of the mfr. Confusing. Just wondering. Just a thought.

If they really want or need more power, just get a big amp, turn down the RFX-75 to ~50-60 watts, and put a fan on it.
Probably last till the day one decides to sell it . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallman
Got that right Robb I run anything with an RFX75 on or about 50 to 55 watts with no issues what so ever. Sure than can do 70 watts all day long too but at 50 it gets a little warm, never backs down output and works great. :tongue:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?