• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

On nice clear days could you bounce CB signals off the moon?

DualAntennas

Oct 6, 2013
On nice clear days could you bounce CB Signals off the moon like they do in ham radio? If you pointed a directional antenna that way?
Provided the atmosphere was in our favor that day?

EME is fun, played with it years ago on 2 meters. You "could" do it on 11 meters but tell you what you start building the antenna array and will tell you when you're done. I will know because it will be visible from space.

Reactions: 1 person
I can only imagine how that would have gone over with the FCC in the 70s. That bounce is good in thereoy but I'm imagine if it did work the by you have one delay that would confuse others.

Yes it's possible but man that would be some yagi array. I would like to see that! I played on 2 meters eme first with 2 x 13 element yagis and finally with 4 x 22 elements W5un who I spoke to had a little more. check out the pic. Now think how much total gain we would have had just to hear a few. di dahs Then multiply antenna dimentsions x 5 for 11 meters. Start building now and you might be ready for the sun spot minimum in 5 or 6 years And you have to talk someone into building another array so you have someone to communicate with.. Might be easier and cheaper to study get your full call and build a 70 cm array.

Attachments

• EME Array.JPG
    EME Array.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: 1 person
In the 1970's there was a ham who worked 10 meter EME on a regular basis. He was featured in either QST or the ARRL handbook with a black and white photo of the antenna. It was a single, large parabolic dish that appeared to be about the same size as the house is stood beside.

In the 1970's there was a ham who worked 10 meter EME on a regular basis. He was featured in either QST or the ARRL handbook with a black and white photo of the antenna. It was a single, large parabolic dish that appeared to be about the same size as the house is stood beside.

If that is the one that used a destroyer gun mount for the steerable base it was not for 10m. In fact a dish 30 feet in diameter would not have any appreciable gain on 10m. A dish for HF even at 30 MHz would be HUGE and then some.

I hope when china sends a man to the moon that they leave a half wave passive antenna there for 10 or 11 meters. Just drive 2 stakes there in sight of earth and hang a 1/2 wave dipole with no feedpoint between them.

And to complicate/simplify things even more, weather doesn't have much affect on HF signals, so it could be done on 'not clear days/nights' too. You'd better be very quick on the XMT/RCV change over or you'll miss the returning signal...
- 'Doc

If that is the one that used a destroyer gun mount for the steerable base it was not for 10m. In fact a dish 30 feet in diameter would not have any appreciable gain on 10m. A dish for HF even at 30 MHz would be HUGE and then some.

It's been a while since I've seen this picture but as I recall the dish was much larger than 30 feet in diameter. It was the largest dish I've ever seen on private property. Big enough that I'm just about sure it's no longer up. Although I was fairly certain it was a dish for 10 meters, it's also been long enough that my memory could be wrong.

Have never heard of anyone with a dish antenna for 10 meters.
I asked around in circles whom in my opinion should have known...but still a negative.
So not saying it isnt true..(im hoping it is !!!) .but it is certainly not well known.

Eme has already been done on those bands.

There are a couple on 10 who made a "qso" and
there are a couple on 11 who have heard there own echos :)

Kind regards,

H>

It's been a while since I've seen this picture but as I recall the dish was much larger than 30 feet in diameter. It was the largest dish I've ever seen on private property. Big enough that I'm just about sure it's no longer up. Although I was fairly certain it was a dish for 10 meters, it's also been long enough that my memory could be wrong.

Wouldn't the person or persons he was working also be bouncing signals off the moon? Presuming it had to be done at night. During daylight hours how would you tell the difference between eme and normal ionosphere propagation?

I think I remember reading that the ionosphere would attenuate hf signals or reflect them back to earth long before any signal would make it to space let alone make it to and bounce off the moon.

Wouldn't the person or persons he was working also be bouncing signals off the moon? Presuming it had to be done at night. During daylight hours how would you tell the difference between eme and normal ionosphere propagation?

I think I remember reading that the ionosphere would attenuate hf signals or reflect them back to earth long before any signal would make it to space let alone make it to and bounce off the moon.

Day or night makes no difference as long as both stations can see the moon and the ionosphere is favorable as in the case of solar minimum during low sunspot years. Did you know the planet Jupiter emits radio signals all across the HF spectrum that can be picked up here on Earth? Sure they are incoming but they still pass thru the ionosphere at times of low solar activity.

Detecting Jupiter's Radio Emissions

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.