• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Original Ranger 2990 receive question?

Dart

Oct 18, 2012
Hello everyone,

I have a RCI 2990 that is bone stock, other than being converted for 11 meters.

Are these radios known for having "noisy" receive? Is it an inherent design flaw? I get a lot of white noise compared to other radios I own.

Any fixes to to this problem? I'm tempted to send it out and see what can be done.

Sort your antenna system out for a start. What are you using and how is it installed?

Secondly the speaker. A small speaker can make the hiss sound a lot more high pitched and therefore worse. Compare radios using the same external speaker.

The 2990 is an older radio, did this just start happening or has it always been this way? The 2950/70/90 radio's do have slight white noise. A factory receive alignment can help.

One thing that makes this worse is to peak L9, the receiver's antenna-input coil for max S-meter reading. This setting will also maximize the noise.

Setting L9 properly requires a really weak test signal. Peak L9 for max signal, compared to the noise, while ignoring the S-meter.

This setting tends to be one-half turn or one whole turn of the slug clockwise from the setting that shows the highest S-meter reading.

Requires a steady test signal that's weak enough to hear both the signal and the noise.

Back in the day, Galaxy's tech would just tell you to turn the slug on L9 one turn clockwise from that max S-meter point.

This doesn't cure the problem, but if the radio was previously aligned by a meter-watcher, it can help.

All the other receiver alignment slugs are peaked for max S-meter, but not L9.

Reactions: Dart
Nomad I thought that slug was L8 from what Ray said to do years ago. at least that is what I remember. not L9. this is the info from galaxys symptoms and cures data base.

Disconnect the antenna from the radio. Locate L8 on the main pcb and adjust it from 1/4 to 1/2 turn clockwise or until the white noise (static) drops to your satisfaction. Be care not to adjust too far or you will lose some receive range.

also I remember Ray said to unhook the antenna and crank the volume all the way up and if you have the white noise this will help cut the noise down. this was some info Ray gave me on the phone about my 93T I had bought when they 1st came out. called him when I found the white noise on it was very high.

Last edited:
Yes, the 2990 radios have a "white noise" issue due to poor design. Almost all export radios suffer from this problem to some degree. There really isn't a way to get rid of it either, you can reduce it some, but you'll never get rid of it entirely.

~Cheers~

that is why I sold my 93T right after I bought it. to much receive noise and all I was doing was turning down the receive by turning the L can. at least that was how I felt about it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.