• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Output Difference Between 955HP and Magnum 1

BBI

Oct 23, 2016
I have the Magnum 1, which I like very much. However, it doesn't seem to have enough output to drive my AL-80B amp properly.

Would the Stryker 955HP work better with the AL-80B on AM than the Magnum 1, or do these radios have about the same output?

That's a significant difference. I'm trying to avoid the radio-into-a-little amp-into-a big-amp setup.

A local had a 955 that would do 80-90 watts PEP on SSB. Off hand I would say with a factory tune and alignment a Magnum 1 would be doing 40-50 honest watts. You would really have to wind one out to hit 60.

Got mine from Bobscb so it most likely doing 40 or 50. he does not over tune radios..
Thank goodness............

Got mine from Bobscb so it most likely doing 40 or 50. he does not over tune radios..
Thank goodness............
Yea Bob's would be a very safe place to purchase from given the quality of their tech work. I remember some place was claiming 130 watts from a Stryker 955 after "their tune". I bet those finals won't last long wound way out like that.

Reactions: undertaker
Yeah, I won't do "peaked & tweaked" stuff. Leave them alone so they last.

I get a 10-15w AM carrier out my duck-pluckin' Magnum 1.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the 955 is more suitable for driving my amp. Are there any other high power AM transceivers anybody recommends for my application?

I just tuned up using an FM carrier to 700w. I figure on AM I'm getting a nice clean boost with lots of headroom. I'm probably in doing fine.

Last edited:
I have the Magnum 1, which I like very much. However, it doesn't seem to have enough output to drive my AL-80B amp properly.

Would the Stryker 955HP work better with the AL-80B on AM than the Magnum 1, or do these radios have about the same output?

Is the AL-80B designed for 100 watt input drive to meet FCC regulations? If so change the input padding.

If you like the radio why upgrade to yet another radio that likewise cannot do 100 watts of output to fully drive the amp if it is set up for 100 watts input drive. You can either modify the amp to be more flexible or get a small transistor amp that can give it the 100 watts it needs and then turn down the output power on the radio or get a rig that can drive it fully.

I run a 1 transistor amp that does about 220 watts rms with 6 watts of drive that said most single transistor amps are lucky to get 80 watts rms. You would need a 2 pill from most shops to run 100 watts clean and cool on am at 13.8 volts.

If you are running 3-500Z tubes why do you need the full 1kw out of it to talk?

Just run the AL80 with lower drive. It'll last longer and I doubt anyone other than your power meter will notice. The difference between between 4W to 8W and 1kW to 2kW is the same to the receiving station, just half a S point even though in the first example the difference is 4W and in the second 1000W. That is because S meters work logarithmically with a S point being 6dB or a four times increase from the S point below it so it matters more what a multiple of the higher power is over the lower power than what the amount of difference is.

If you are running 2KW and the other station is hearing you fine at say S9 they're still going to hear you fine at 1kW at almost S9 and I doubt they'd notice any difference. Certainly above S9 they most definitely won't. At S0/S1 there wouldn't be enough difference to make or break a contact except if you are using CW or data. A difference of 3dB on SSB or AM won't allow you to make a contact at or near the noise floor.

I bought the Magnum 1 because I liked its features, and it would drive my AL-80B to the recommended duty cycle on AM. After some more time, I have the combination working right where it oughtta be for AM, as stated in my last post.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated