• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 300a Transformer hum

Jimbo165

Jun 1, 2012
Southeastern Michigan
I picked up a Palomar 300a not working it is a amp with transformer in separate box. I replaced Keying transistors and amp was working but on just key up in power operate mode transformer has a hum. I replaced all capacitors and power rectifier diodes but on key up in power operate mode still has hum. It has no hum when just power on . I have used amp over 6 hrs so far and it works like it should on output and transformer does not get hot or smoked yet. Is transformer going bad or is this normal for this amplifier? Thank You Jimbo

i dont know if this will help here or not but years ago a tech i knew had a old 6 channel cb that had a transformer humming and he put super glue in the transformer and it went away,, dont ask me the how and what but that is what he said he did,,,,,,,,

What you are hearing is called Magnostriction.(SP?) When the ac is doing it's thing it is pulling on the metal in the core. Enamel is what the manufacturers used. Might not be much you can do except change the transformer.

Real common in old transformers. Make sure everthing is tight and can't vibrate in the case. Then if still present try enamel or super glue etc on the lamination's. Works wonders ! I have fixed several transformers like this over the years.

The vibrating might be getting transferred to the chassis and making it vibrate also. If you can remove the bolts that secure the transformer to the chassis you could put a soft rubber pad or something similar down directly on the chassis underneath the transformer. You might also be able to put rubber snubbers, grommets or whatever around the bolts.

This MIGHT quiet it down a bit, but not completely.

They use polyester resin for fiber glass these days. Before that it was enamel for the heat resistant properties. Laquer and Shellac both fell out of favor because of all of the V.O.C.s and the air pollution problems. Vaporizing alcohol has a tendency to go BOOM!
http://www.somis.org/D-amplifiers3.html
Polyester fiberglass laminating resin

Last edited:
Epoxy works , thin it down with a bit of alcohol and paint it on. Most cases it's the lamination's buzzing and you wont have to pot the winding.
Womens clear nail polish works as well ,dries hard but still a little flexible.( no honey I haven't seen your nail polish)

They use polyester resin for fiber glass these days. Before that it was enamel for the heat resistant properties. Laquer and Shellac both fell out of favor because of all of the V.O.C.s and the air pollution problems. Vaporizing alcohol has a tendency to go BOOM!
http://www.somis.org/D-amplifiers3.html
Polyester fiberglass laminating resin

I already provided that Link above to Richard Measures' Website...
Shellac was used for years by General Electric that used to be Partners with Westinghouse... THEY pretty much were responsible for the Electric Grid...
Enamel also has a Thinner and can go BOOM !!! Once the Thinner evaporates, there is no more chance of BOOM...

A bad rectifier can cause a transformer to "grunt", and make noises under load.

As a rule, if this is the cause, it will get louder when you're keyed and drawing current from the transformer's HV winding.

And if it's just loose laminations, it will hum all the time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated