• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

palomar tx 5300 info.

parallax

Nov 4, 2010
Oregun
Hello, this is my first post. This looks like an interesting and informative forum.
I bought a box of ham gear a few years ago at a garage sale, and in the box was an amplifier called a palomar tx 5300. 12 volt operation. upon searching the internet, i have been unable to find any real info on this amplifier.. I was wondering if anyone else has one of these, and how many watts can i expect this amp to put out, as well as wondering at 12 volts, how many amps does it take to run this amp.? I currently have a 25 amp D.C. power supply, and it appears that it is not nearly enough. I will have to find a bigger power supply, but not sure how big i will need to go. any help greatly appreciated.. thnxs folks.

The best I can come up with is here and can not find the original transistors but they cross to a mrf455 so 250 watts or so should not be out of the question.

The power supply you have will be at it's limit to operate this amp at it's full potential at low drive levels but you might consider a slightly larger one if the amp does actually work.

A 35 amp ps should take care of it nicely.

http://www.cbtricks.com/Amp/palomar/tx5300/tx5300_page1.gif

http://www.cbtricks.com/Amp/txstar/datasheets/graphics/mrf455_mot.pdf

If I remember right, that's a "5" band amplifier, 300 watts output.

Some came Class C, others biased.

Not a bad amplifier.

Figure 20A PEAK per transistor with modern day parts, the MRF series could be figured to be about 15A per 'pill'... So you need about a 40A constant, 60A PEAK capability supply to keep from flattopping.

--Toll_Free

THNXS guys, yep,, its a 5 bander. thnxs for the info.. i will start searching for a 40 amp power supply.(y)

No problem. Don't discount the 'car battery w a charger' trick... I've actually gone BACK to that for winter use, since my power fluctuates so much up here. I've lost 4 switching power supplies in as many months due to power line spikes. 6K feet up in the high desert of California coupled with > 100 MPH winds take power delivery to a new feat... We also get 2-3 feet of ice, OVERNIGHT. Yeah, I've lost a few antennas :)

If you're one of the big swing guys, you could get by with a 30A supply, constant, but you'd really be pushing it.

Decent little amplifiers, I've never had one on a spec-an to see how good the bandpass filtering is. Be SURE you run it on the 10 meter position, and if you have any 44's, make sure you check that switch before you fire it up.... Kids love to switch knobs, and the VSWR those transistors see if it's going into the wrong bandpass filter will kill'em quick.

I had something else I wanted to chime in with, but I forgot what it was :) lol. Too early in the AM, only one cup-o-coffee so far.

Oh yeah, remember most model numbers on a lot of boxes today are actually Power INPUT, not what you should be seeing on the wattmeter. Your box goes back to the days of "truth in advertising", as well as it was a legally sold product at the time (and with todays laws!!!), so it's a 300 watt out amp. Yes, a PAIR of 454s will do 225 watts, so your 300 COULD do 450, but it's DESIGNED as a 80 watt PEP output transistor. So keep the output at 300 watts, and you should have an amp that lasts a LONG time.

300 watts output = approx 450-480 watts INPUT / 13 = 36A input. Wow, right along the lines of above :)

--Toll_Free

I have the TX 5200 also a 5 bander mine no longer has the original transistors when I got it it alreaddy had 4 X 2CS2290 mine has the filtering Iv only tried mine on 10 meters I believe it was and with 10 -15 in I seen 250- - 275 out. Its been awhile since I messed with it.

TX 5300A

I have a TX 5300A and all of the required info is on it. I will sell this one (lic required) since I have acquired an ALS-500 before I was able to put it to work in my mobile and have no use for it! Three position power switch (hi, mid and low). 400 watts pep (200w am) on hi! Four position band switch, 10-15, 20, 40 and 80.

Harry

k6aom@comcast.net

I have a TX 5300A and all of the required info is on it. I will sell this one (lic required) since I have acquired an ALS-500 before I was able to put it to work in my mobile and have no use for it! Three position power switch (hi, mid and low). 400 watts pep (200w am) on hi! Four position band switch, 10-15, 20, 40 and 80.

Harry

k6aom@comcast.net

License " lol " who needs a stinking license !!!

K6aom

Man I hope you didn't take it the wrong way. I just had to throw that one on the wall, it's all in good fun !!! Your doing it the lawful way !!!

David

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.