• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

pl259 connector quality

Pman62

Nov 20, 2017
This may sound kind of stupid, but is there truly any notable difference between higher or lower quality connectors? I'm looking to buy some pl259's and I have a choice between connectors that are; nickel plated with bakelite insulators or silver plated with teflon insulators. The price difference is a little over double. My first gut reaction is to get the better quality, but is it actually worth it?

The cheap china junk will corrode in less than a year.
Higher quality tends to last, goes without saying.
If your budget allows Amphenol is the way to go.

This may sound kind of stupid, but is there truly any notable difference between higher or lower quality connectors? I'm looking to buy some pl259's and I have a choice between connectors that are; nickel plated with bakelite insulators or silver plated with teflon insulators. The price difference is a little over double. My first gut reaction is to get the better quality, but is it actually worth it?
If you're planning to solder the connections, don't even THINK about nickel plating. Get the silver plated version.

If you're planning to solder the connections, don't even THINK about nickel plating. Get the silver plated version.
Oh yeah, I never even thought about the solderability. Both of these connectors are the solder type. But then again I could easily sand the plating off where I will make the solder connections, but that would be an additional step. As far as corrosion goes, they both have brass as the base metal. I have seen the cheapo chinese ones that state "zinc" as the base metal. I assume that means they are die-cast. I would never consider those.

The cheap china junk will corrode in less than a year.
Higher quality tends to last, goes without saying.
If your budget allows Amphenol is the way to go.

The only time I have ever had a connector corrode, and it took years to do so, was when it was left exposed to the elements. Nickel will not corrode but takes on a rough dull finish after years exposed to the weather. I have had them corrode onto the antenna connector but that was because of the male threads on the connector and everything was exposed to the weather. Since I always weatherproof my connectors I have had the cheap nickel plated brass connectors last 15+ years. Having said that, now I only use silver plated connectors outside but I still use some nickle plated brass ones inside.

Agreed. What I had to do when soldering was take a small jewelers file and and file away the nickle plating and solder to the brass or use good silver bearing solder as it will adhere to the nickel.

Reactions: Mudfoot and Pman62
Agreed. What I had to do when soldering was take a small jewelers file and and file away the nickle plating and solder to the brass or use good silver bearing solder as it will adhere to the nickel.[/QUOTE]

All the silver bearing solders I have seen use an acid based flux (zinc chloride) which, correct me if I'm wrong, is a no-no for electrical work.

Agreed. What I had to do when soldering was take a small jewelers file and and file away the nickle plating and solder to the brass or use good silver bearing solder as it will adhere to the nickel.

All the silver bearing solders I have seen use an acid based flux (zinc chloride) which, correct me if I'm wrong, is a no-no for electrical work.

You are correct about using an acid based flux but there are MANY solders that contain 2 or 3% silver and have a rosin core. Kester makes it among several others. I'm talking about regular tin/lead/silver solder and not the Silfoss type of bronze "solder" that requires a torch. It is great for RF connections and is a bit harder making th connection stronger too.

Reactions: Pman62 and LeapFrog
My experience is in Nova Scotia. Salt air all around us and tons of salt on the roads in winter. Makes for a rather harsh environment especially for mobiles. Often it is the antenna connector itself that is made of aluminum alloy or some other crappy metal that corrodes badly and seizes the PL259 onto it unless weatherproofed really well. I once replaced an antenna at a small municipal airport ehere the coax connectorcwas not even taped up. The PL-259 had only lost it's shine and was dull gray but it had to be cut off the antenna base. The antenna had to be replaced.

You are correct about using an acid based flux but there are MANY solders that contain 2 or 3% silver and have a rosin core. ester makes it among several others. i'm talking about regular tin/lead/silver solder and not the Silfoss type of bronze "solder" that requires a torch. It is great for RF connections and is a bit harder making th connection stronger too.[/QUOTE]

Well, I have never seen this type of solder. I'm going to have to look for some; it sounds like good stuff. :) BTW, when you weather-proof your outside connectors, what do you use?

Here in FL have seen the PL 259 corrode so bad it looked like white powder baking soda. Center conductor corroded so bad that when the connector was finally removed the center pin was stuck in the so 239.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
Some were taped, some coax seal so old had to break it off to get to the PL259 and some just left to the elements no sealant.

I would guess water intrusion would be the biggest culprit here in FL.
Rains almost everyday somewhere here, sub tropical climate.
Never heard of snow intrusion like you all got up North.(n)(n)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated