• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Poll for CB radio Operators

How much power are you running on Base station operation only, not mobile.

• 4 to 50 watts

Votes: 32 46.4%
  • 50 to 100 watts

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • 100 to 250 watts

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • 250 to 500 watts

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • 500 to 1KW

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • 1 KW plus

Votes: 4 5.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I strive for consistency, Max 500W 99.9% of the time, unless the locals are on some QRP binge night. That way I don't have to listen to comments from the peanut gallery saying " you sound different" or "I can't hear you as well for some reason today"

Seems to be just enough to get through the hetrodyne of the day from Portomexicuba and talk to most of the locals within a 15 mile range on AM.

Don't make me turn on my MRI machine ;) The original YU-Tube...

I8SEZXK.jpg

I use my KL-203 thats it for now, Works great when conditions are good. Had a good 5 min conversation with 123 Texas yesterday on the Uniden Washington. Not bad from N.J.

I'm operating CB base stations at 2 locations. The first unit is an early 1990s Cobra 148GTL that puts out about 3.6 watts on AM. It runs into an IMAX 2000.

The second is an old Realistic Navaho TRC 490. It puts out just over 3 watts on AM. It runs into an old 1/2 wave Archer Crossbow, which was essentially the Shakespeare Big Stick dyed in blue and sold by Radio Shack.

I do fine with this set up.

I'm operating CB base stations at 2 locations. The first unit is an early 1990s Cobra 148GTL that puts out about 3.6 watts on AM. It runs into an IMAX 2000.

The second is an old Realistic Navaho TRC 490. It puts out just over 3 watts on AM. It runs into an old 1/2 wave Archer Crossbow, which was essentially the Shakespeare Big Stick dyed in blue and sold by Radio Shack.

I do fine with this set up.
I run a few 858 chassis radios, some stock and some peaked a bit so 3-5 W swinging to 12, 12- 17 on SSB

RoadSqwaker said: Well now, I see we have shifted from RF to ERP:sleep:

Or is that rating URP?:sick:

When I key up my neighbors start to sweat even on cold day, and the street lights flash with my modulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
RoadSqwaker said: Well now, I see we have shifted from RF to ERP:sleep:

Or is that rating URP?:sick:

When I key up my neighbors start to sweat even on cold day, and the street lights flash with my modulation.
Affirm still running basic stock. Love when the lonely hams hear the Aussies/Hawaii. Then you hear the kw's on 11m. Sad but true.Forget running legal on 37,38,39,40 LSB the wiskeys from the upper class will wipe us lower class folks out. Oh yeah export(illegal) radios and perfect tune on your tenner won't get you over them. I know prop. has it's part but come on.

Affirm still running basic stock. Love when the lonely hams hear the Aussies/Hawaii. Then you hear the kw's on 11m. Sad but true.Forget running legal on 37,38,39,40 LSB the wiskeys from the upper class will wipe us lower class folks out. Oh yeah export(illegal) radios and perfect tune on your tenner won't get you over them. I know prop. has it's part but come on.
My posting was total B.S., I don't run any additional power on any bands. Even on ham bands I just run what the legal radio brings. I don't transmit on 11 meters except with my bone stock Uniden 980 and no amps behind it. I shoot skip almost daily on ham band and also do not run power amps even though I have them.
I don't even run a power mike.

My posting was total B.S., I don't run any additional power on any bands. Even on ham bands I just run what the legal radio brings. I don't transmit on 11 meters except with my bone stock Uniden 980 and no amps behind it. I shoot skip almost daily on ham band and also do not run power amps even though I have them.
I don't even run a power mike.
BTW I have Scrat on my desk at work and when you pull his tail down he chatters(yes I take the oportunitys to be easily amused). 11m is the original social media and through us/it will be back. To much fun.

Reactions: Tallman
Well.. being I need only 90 watts to talk to the other side of the our earth with great results, then that's my answer.
It's all in the antenna!!

Reactions: binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.