• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Poor Radio Shack.....

Must be the same management crew that is running SEARS.
Radio shack took a wrong turn way back when they became PHONE SHACK.

But they did that to survive. RS was never going to make bank catering to us radio enthusiasts. It's a business that has run it's course and they did what they had to until the end.

Like the saying goes - Nothing lasts forever, except Betty White :)

Reactions: 2RT307
Yep. Should have seen this coming. Now that most all cell phone companies have a payment plan instead of the old way of having phones at a low price. You pay full price now, but you have much cheaper plans and more options with most all of the carriers these days. Don't need a big store front to house cell phones.
Last few times I was in there. No one was buying any electronics. It was all phones!! So they lost the war. Won a battle and hung on for a little while, but gone are the days of most people repairing things and even building things and such. If it breaks, throw it out and buy a new one is how majority think these days sad to say.
With technology making the leaps it has in the last few years, this was bound to happen. Now even our computers are all based like our phones LOL!!
At any rate, yes it is sad to see them go, but they weren't selling any of the electronics stuff they had. I suppose that Sprint did want to lose their butts so they pulled the plug. Sad to see them go, but that is how things are these days!!!!

It is sad indeed. I bought stereo gear there back in 1975 and it still works just fine.
I bought the STA-2000 and a set of MACH ONE speakers and to this day those speakers will rattle the change in your pockets and sound good doing it.
I still have a bunch of Radio Shack cb's around here and they all work too.

Reactions: 222DBFL and 2RT307
Make sure you go to the closing RS stores and buy out as much stuff as you can for pennies on the dollar as I did. Don't need to go there anymore as I got bags and bags of the stuff.

Mouser is a competent electronic supplier on line if you have to go that route. http://www.mouser.com/

They didn't have to hit the cell phone market, as hard as they did.

They could have done fine with phones, TV's, stereo and surround sound, and other things that the average consumer is interested in, plus kept the random kits and components that hobbyists were interested in.

The Radio Shack locations that I've visited over the past 10 years, always seemed to have plenty of folks walking through the door. Not many of them, from what I saw, had much interest in cell phones, that day. They always seemed to be asking for some random electrical thing that a Radio Shack SHOULD carry, and it used to be, they did.

Also, it probably didn't help that Radio Shack seemed to have gotten insanely overpriced, on a lot of things.

Reactions: LeapFrog
I can never seem to catch a "going-out-of-business" sale. Every RS that I come to, lately, is already shuttered, or they haven't gotten a termination notice, yet.

My cousin, however, caught a few local RS closings. He bought up a whole bunch of random kits at something like 75% off, just for the components contained within.

i walked into a radio shack over the weekend ,sign said 20-50% off . i walked out with nothing . everything seems overpriced . i figured i would grab one of those little tubes of solder ...........5 bucks .more like 2 dollars if you ask me .
selling toy grade drones at hobby grade prices .cant fault them if uninformed buyers pay those prices .but there is surely better options out there .

our local hobby shop is going out too . guy just bought it from the previous owner . (yes he bought a failing business thinking he could make it work) and 6 months later he is closing the doors .
when i asked him why he said " the internet" not enough local support . everything cheaper on the internet .
this will be come the norm over the next decade and alot of brick and mortar stores will go under .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.