• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power Supply Failure...

Robb

Honorary Member Silent Key
Dec 18, 2008
Silicon Valley CA, Storm Lake IA
My Samlex 1223 power supply decided to take a dump on me this morning. It didn't go completely bye-bye; it will warm up to 13.8v - but reluctantly and takes its time getting there.
So, I went looking for a new power supply.

At first, I considered the Tripp-lite 40 amp supply for $210 at a local electronics supply house. But Ham Radio Outlet was only a block away from there, so I went there to see what they had to offer. The other option is to buy online, and then wait for it to be delivered. Wasn't going to do that either, skip will be in tomorrow - I thought. Buying a power supply online would also mean paying a hefty shipping charge, as most supplies are fairly heavy. So, I put on my shoes and jumped in my car and took a short drive and shopped. It was worth it.

Ham Radio Outlet had a Diamond GZV-4000 40 amp supply for $165. Yeah, they had Antron supplies too; but for $50+ for an equivalent amperage supply. Ugh. The Diamond GZV-4000 will do that 40 amps at 100% duty cycle, which impressed me. One can adjust the voltage from 5v to 15v. It has a backlit power meter that can be switched from reading volts to amperage draw. Nice! It also has a built-in front-firing speaker; there is a jack on the back for it. There is a cigarette lighter plug and a spring loaded terminals to access power from the front of the supply as well. There is an overload protection indicator LED on the front.

Having the front access to power makes it easy for me to work on radios without having to fiddle-screw behind the supply and disconnect anything. Power directly into my work area right from the front of the supply; this works for me. Using a power pole on the back distributes power to my Icom HF rig, the 2m/440 radio, my MFJ antenna tuner, and my OmegaForce. I can turn all of them on and not have to concern myself of overtaxing the supply - even if keying up any two radios at the same time...

For $165, I consider this power supply is a real steal - and I bought one. I wanted to get a supply that had more amperage available that I would ever use at one time. Which for me is about 25 amps. At that rate, I cannot over-tax it and will run cool with room to spare. It is a quality item, as most of the Diamond products are usually decently made. The supply is actually capable of 42 amps/peak; so think about this supply before spending more on a Pyramid or Tripp-lite supply and spend more money than you really have to...

Diamond® Antenna ~ GZV4000 Switching Mode DC Power Supply

Special Features:

• Size: 8.25" x 13" x 4.5"
• Weight: 9 lbs.
• 40 Amp Continuous Rating, 100% Duty Cycle
• Variable Voltage Control 5-15 VDC
• Voltage Control Knob has center detent at 13.5 VDC
• Overload & short-circuit protection with Current Foldback at approximately 42 Amp
• Over Temperature Protection; variable speed fan automatically controlled for quiet operation
• Meter Selector allows monitoring of voltage & current
• Access to front panel DC terminals and cigarette lighter jack; standard 40A terminals on rear panel
• Built-in 8W speaker
• Circuitry yields high RFI protection from external sources
• AC line filter for EMI protection
• Standard 3-wire heavy duty line cord
• Power Indicator & Overload Indicator
• Accepts 120 VAC ± 20% 50-60 cps (Not compatible with 220V)
• Ripple & Noise less than 8 mV r.m.s.
• 1 Year Limited Warranty

Attachments

• gzv4000-2.jpg
    gzv4000-2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 95
  • gzv4000-3.jpg
    gzv4000-3.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 95
  • GZV4000.pdf
    804.4 KB · Views: 6

Somewhere around mid-2006 I had one of those. I ended up giving it away.

Perhaps it will serve your needs but my experience plus the reviews I've read would make me look in another direction.

good luck

Robb, looks fairly nice, I would be interested in a review after some use. I always feel that you don't run your car at WFO RPMs continuously , so why expect a power supply to perform at 100% or more for a continued time.

Even though this supply is capable of running fully open/100% duty cycle; I am obviously not going to run it that way. The Samlex I have been using cost me $100 and doesn't have a fan. Talk about your 'built-in obsolescence'. Well, I bought it to fill the immediate need to run my OmegaForce and my 2m radio at that time. I was pushing it a little hard.

Thanks for the eHam review - BM. I didn't read it before I bought the supply. Now I am aware of the cooling fan as a possible improvement point. After the failure of the Samlex, I was considering getting a linear supply instead of another switching supply. But what changed my mind was that it is a Diamond product with lotsa features, more power than I would use, and the price was right.

A power supply is a piece of gear that one hopes can be rock solid for X amount of years and give unfaltering performance. At least, I do. That is why I wanted to buy more supply than I would ever use. I'd like to see ten years out of it, and I think that by getting more supply than I would need could make this possible. We will see. Nothing can ever be considered bullet-proof or fail-safe, so I will review it after I have used it for a few months.

That fan modification is one I would look into, wished I'd known about it at the time I owned one.

After running this power supply the first day, I have noticed a few things...

The voltage does not drop/budge -at all- from 13.8v when I key up on SSB swinging 70 watts.
There is far less hash in my receive!
The amperage meter swings like an S-meter - very sensitive.
The fan noise isn't as bad as my computer fan, but it is a bit loud - but not really that bad.
Runs very cool.

Robb keep us posted on that thing I wouldnt mind trying one providing yours holds out. So if you dont mind let me know how it works out please.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.