• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Power Supply... Recommendation

SuperDave

Sep 10, 2012
Luling, La.
I need a power supply to run my RM Italy 203p and my Galaxy 959. The Amp is rated at 10 watts and has 12 watt fuse the radio probably pulls around 4 amps.

Now with that being said I'd like to get a power supply that could handle a larger Amp or a bigger radio such as a RCI 2970n2. I know Astron is a great power supply but was wondering if there are other companies out there or if deals could be had on something like this.

i usually start with whatever size fuse is in the power cord as a starting reference
in your case the kl amp has a 12 amp fuse. so id say at least 12 amp CONSTANT not surge
for the radio if its mostly stock 5-7 amp CONSTANT not surge. when getting a power supply
i always look at the CONSTANT supply. the surge is only good for a short time.
as for the rci 2970n2 im really not sure .gotta local here that has one from bobscb.com
and needs a 55 amp power supply. and i hear others that get away with 20-25 amp
so im not sure. astrons are the best imho. triplite powersupplies are good little cheaper
than astrons. pyrimids power supplys are ok but not my choice. i gotta jetstreame p/s
now its a switching p/s it puts a measurable amount of noise on my 2950. not nearly
as noticable on my emperior 5010 or magnum though.

if your wanting to run your current setup with 1 powersupply id probaly start at/around
25-30 amps. i always buy bigger than needed and big as i can afford,buy once and be done..lol

i usually start with whatever size fuse is in the power cord as a starting reference
in your case the kl amp has a 12 amp fuse. so id say at least 12 amp CONSTANT not surge
for the radio if its mostly stock 5-7 amp CONSTANT not surge. when getting a power supply
i always look at the CONSTANT supply. the surge is only good for a short time.
as for the rci 2970n2 im really not sure .gotta local here that has one from bobscb.com
and needs a 55 amp power supply. and i hear others that get away with 20-25 amp
so im not sure. astrons are the best imho. triplite powersupplies are good little cheaper
than astrons. pyrimids power supplys are ok but not my choice. i gotta jetstreame p/s
now its a switching p/s it puts a measurable amount of noise on my 2950. not nearly
as noticable on my emperior 5010 or magnum though.

if your wanting to run your current setup with 1 powersupply id probaly start at/around
25-30 amps. i always buy bigger than needed and big as i can afford,buy once and be done..lol

Thanks Hotrod. I want more than I need for sure!

I saw a review of a Pyramid PS36KX on CBradiomagazine and it seemed to work well for him. So that one is on my radar at this point in time.

What's the 'best' size of power supply? Any of them that has two or three times as much (or more) than the highest draw you think you will ever have. In other words, the biggest @#$ thing you can afford without visiting a banker. Sound like an exaggeration? Maybe a little bitty one, but it's still a fact.
Something else to keep in mind is that you are interested in that power supply's CCS rating, not the ICS rating. That ICS rating (meaning surges) is more a safety thing than useful. It's also something like 20 - 50% higher than the constant current supplying ability.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

Thanks guys!

I want something around 25amp continuous.

We have:

Astron
Pyramid
Tripplite
Jetstream

Now I'm gonna try to find a model in the 25+amp continuous range for each manufactor and compare them..

The pyramid amp I have says that I can run it continuously at 60% of it's rating. A stock 959 may use a 4 amp fuse but I use a 7 amp fuse in it's present state of tune.

That's a good example! That JPS-45 is actually a 40 amp supply. Meaning it'll do 40 amps all day long and a 45 amp 'surge' every once in a while, if that 'while' isn't more than a second or two. The CCS is 40A, the ICS is 45A. See how that works?
- 'Doc

Hard to go wrong with an Astron. Love my Iota's, too!

Brett

Read some reviews on the new Astrons not being as dependable as the old ones. Not sure what they changed but just food for thought.

seems to fit the bill nicely for what you want. and pretty sure it will handle slightly
more too if you get bigger amp

That's exactly what I was thinking. I think the biggest I'd ever go in the house would be a TS350 and even then I wouldn't run the amp on full blast. But this power supply should support the amp or if I just decide to get a high power export.

And those lights flickering is exactly why you really don't want to 'push' a power supply if possible. It means that the circuit supplying AC to that PS isn't capable of the draw that's being put on it. That leads to all kinds of complications. Any sort of 'pushing' is always a gamble. Just be sure you can afford to not win that bet...
- 'Doc

My 350HDV Black Widow sucks down about 40A with 300W out on SSB with the lights flickering a bit. Just food for thought.

I'm not sure what the Black Widow means, but I wouldn't run the TS350 wide open. I would more than likely run it on Low or Medium. I was leaning towards the 350 just incase I ever wanted to move up in power I would have the option to do so. However I did mention that I may just get a high power Export so I might not even have a need to get an amp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated