• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Preacherman modded 50 watt cobra 29

The radio did 50 watts swing but only 13 watts average? How did you measure the 50 watts of swing? By keying down and whistling into the mike? All this proves is that the instantaneous current burst from the pep kit caused the meter to overshoot. Put the meter in the pep mode, and inject a continuous 1000 cycle tone into the mike and see what the meter reads. This is the TRUE pep output of the radio. If the radio does 13 watts average, then it is just that.....AVERAGE.

The radio did 50 watts swing but only 13 watts average? How did you measure the 50 watts of swing? By keying down and whistling into the mike? All this proves is that the instantaneous current burst from the pep kit caused the meter to overshoot. Put the meter in the pep mode, and inject a continuous 1000 cycle tone into the mike and see what the meter reads. This is the TRUE pep output of the radio. If the radio does 13 watts average, then it is just that.....AVERAGE.

I saw people on another forum claiming 13 - 14 watts average swinging to 70+ which just goes to prove that the first liar doesn't have a chance.

it's all just crap and hype. even if the numbers are real the modulation index is in excess of 1 in both cases and both examples represent perfectly the manner in which an am transmitter should not operate. the average and pep figures don't jive either which is a sure indication of out of band harmonic content and the pep power readings are the result of oversampling. nothing to be proud of, much less to be passing off as something desirable. it's crap radio.

keep it up, it keeps me busy.

its all a bunch of crap these stupid cobra 29 videos are on all the forums most are on antennas when testing reading pep readings off ratshack meters and these guys will argue for days my lightly modified 29 keys 1 swings to 8 watts average unless i bump up the power supply voltage.these guys need to get with the program!

Wow, when Justin did his 50 watt Cobra 29 everyone here lined up to kiss his rear. I'm sure if Fire Communications and Sparky each did their best Cobra 29 they would both sound exellent on the air.

There are ways to get much more peak power out of these radios. However, doing that and then running it with a 1 watt carrier is just retarded in my book. A lot of the guys that do the "big power" mods also destroy all the output filtering (spread the coils a lot) which also makes it a splatter box. The only way you can really see the harmonic content is on a spec analyzer.

When you do these mods, you have to realize that you're exceeding what most would say is the proper amount of modulation. That's OK to a degree (even broadcast AM stations will run slightly in excess of a 4:1 modulation/carrier ratio). On CB, people like the sound of over-modulation even more. The trick is to keep the "splatter" to a minimum.

Wow, when Justin did his 50 watt Cobra 29 everyone here lined up to kiss his rear. I'm sure if Fire Communications and Sparky each did their best Cobra 29 they would both sound exellent on the air.
Ole # 9 has been around :LOL: must have been under another name ? I hear what your saying dude. I don't think your average everyday AM only cb'er gives a ratts ass !! I meet and deal with these guys all the time , there's nothing new here , especially over the last 25 years or so for me .

These guys behind the wheels of there big rigs and guys that live in areas where TVI and Harmonics mean nothing to them !! These guys want what they want , it doesn't matter what Freecell / Justin / DTB and Einstien's have to say about it (and they know IM right here) Guys like to bleed over every channel on the band , they like to be so damned loud you can't understand them in the first place !! It doesn't matter to them !! THEY LIKE IT THAT WAY !!

The bottom line is this .....it works good enough for them and that's all that really matters , if a guy swears up and down he gets 1600 watts out of 6 x 2879s !! SO BE IT !!! OK , so Freecell and other tech's like him along with many operators that didn't go to school just to eat there lunches know better , .........I will quote Justin here ......he once said that cb'ers make up there own rules and believe what they want to believe ......There's no doubt in my mind that Justin was 100% correct about that !! So what !! ??

I think what matters in the end, is that given user of given equipment is happy with what they have , no matter how it is done up ! We all have choices in this hobby of ours , we can be as clean as can be or as dirty as we want to be. When it comes to CB radio AM radio operations , it just doesn't have to be perfect to work , it just has to work. I don't even think it's lack of education here ........because you can tell them the truth all you want , it doesn't change a God damned thing !! Swing Kits , clipped diodes , 6 x 2879s doing 1600 watts all works for them . PERIOD !! (those same people that believe that , many are good down home big hearted people that would give you the shirts off there backs if they could)

If you feel the need to argue the point to somebody that's going to do it there way in the first place , that's on you . I talk to people , not machines , and IM very grateful for the chance to have learned the differances between what works right and what works wrong.......unfortunately , the wrong ways work good enough and that tends to be a flamed pimple on given tech's asses. Maybe that's why you guys get the big bucks ? Not my job :tongue:

Eric Clapton said ........He got Ramblin on his mind. :) Sex sells , so did the 50 watt 1969 mod. :love: Show me the money honey. Peace

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.