• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President George HELP!!

P

Pac Ratt

cb,10 meter ham rig,export radio whatever... I have one of these radios and bought it used from a guy at a truck stop. he told me it worked good but it did not have but 40 channels and am only... well I have heard about the mods to trick this unit for different parts of the country so I did not even worry about the guy telling me it wont go to ssb, well I have the radio and have pushed every combination of buttons I have found on the net to trick or mod the radio for say..."export use" and I still have just 40 channels am... No usb, No lsb,No fm, No over 40, No under 40 just 26.965 thru 27.405 AM ONLY. any one know what's the deal? I had to open the radio to see if there was say a jumper or whatnot and I found something very interesting...this small black box that looks added like a noise toy or echo board that says president on it... it was defiantly added after the radio was built but it says president and it is a molded black box... there are some number's that say mr3? the ? part is unidentifiable as some one took a solder gun and melted that number so its real number is like mr34 or mr3a or mr3?... the radio looks very clean and other than this added black box I see no other marks in the radio... I can e-mail pictures if some one wants... please help me get some sideband at least, and 40 up and down cant hurt either... thanks guys, Pac Ratt

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://b2.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=pacratt>Pac Ratt</A> at: 4/12/04 4:04 pm

Hi.

Had a similar prob, but once programmed its there..

Start:

Press power, PA, and dimmer keep these pressed down and the code button flashes keep your finger on these three buttons until the screen goes blank and then press M1 and then turn the radio off: this will give you the international mode with a coverage of 26.065-28.785Mhz(with alphas) AM, FM, USB, and LSB modes!

When in this mode the dimmer switch acts as a band change .

After programming, then press and hold the mode button to change from AM/FM to USB/LSB modes.

If you dont have the CODE to operate the radio, there is a Factory Default code of 4 short depressions of the PROGRAM key. This should work if the code has NOT been changed.

The MR3 module appears to be a factory update/mod and is in my radio also.- mine is poorly soldered too...

I hope this helps

Roger

</p>

1st of all, the black box was not added after, as you said "it definately was"...it happens to be the module for "asc" (automatic squelch control). it has nothing to do with your "issues", and it also is controlled (asc/no asc) by the position of the squelch control.

2nd, don't confuse "modulation modes" (such as; am/fm/usb/lsb/cw) and "frequencies" (or the bandwidth of a radio), as they have nothing to do with ea other. once you have figured out how to "configure" that radio for the "international mode" or whichever mode includes ssb (i thought they all included ssb, but perhaps not) then a little secret many people don't know about that radio (if they haven't read manual) is that in order to get to ssb function, you have to hold the mode switch in for a couple seconds, i.e., a touch of the mode button instantly switches you from am to fm & back again, but you must hold the button in and let the microprocessor switch you over to the ssb mode, where again, the short touch of the button will switch you back & forth between lsb/usb.

if u tried, but failed to get the radio configured to "a country code" that has more than 40 channels, then it may need some physical conversion gone over. i don't have it handy, but i think the rogerbird site should "get you there!". if not, try getting back to me & i'll find info 4u.

Yeah, that so called problem of being stuck on am and 40ch only is a conversion issue. Theres a conversion for units sold in the USA thats not listed on the internet. Simple fix, but sadly many people parted these radios out thinking they were broken..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?