• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Lincoln 1 pill issues

Walkin' the dog
Sep 12, 2009
Chilliwack, BC
www.youtube.com
I picked up a Lincoln with a 455 final in it, looks stock.

I'm wondering what the bias should be, currently its 100ma on the 455.

Also when the top cover is on, it seems to want to go into oscillation on SSB if I whistle or yell into it, I see a carrier that "sticks" there for several seconds while still keyed.
When I take the top lid off, its fine.

I see no signs of abuse or screwdrivering but there is a "grey blob" on the pcb around the area of the final solder points.

Any ideas?

:rolleyes:

It is called SONY Bond and when it ages it can become conductive and corrosive. I had a 2510 that lost the B+ to the finals and I found the SONY Bond had made a perfect place to corrode the copper under a wire held down by it.
In certain HAM transceivers it has caused the VCOs to unlock and shorted out switching diodes. Where ever this stuff is found it should be removed.

mechanic

Find the data sheet for the maker of your MRF455 and adjust for the stated quiescent current in the specifications. You read the emitter current keyed but no modulation.
Keep In mind that the MRF455 has two emitter leads and you have to disconnect both of them.

Reactions: 357
100 mA is fine. Bias is only critical if you don't have enough, or if you have so much that it causes overheating.

One-tenth of an Amp times 14 Volts is only 1.4 Watts of idle-current heat. Won't create any hazards.

Reactions: 357

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated