• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PRESIDENT Lincoln II

I see Bell's CB radio has the President Lincoln II listed for $329.50

GI Joe has it listed for $300 and they confirmed it is the version 2. I think if I were to swing for one, I probably will wait for the v3. According to SimonTheWizard, here are the brief revisions:

V1: Initial Released Version
V2: Modified First Series Radios either direct via GPE or Dealers. NOT SOLD ON MARKET
V3: New version with all the modifications of the V2 and other changes too

Looks like the V3 are starting to show up in the EU.

I think version 2 just addressed the signal meter and AGC issues that were quickly noticed in the original release. It's hard to tell what else is may be wrong with it.

Certainly not much buzz about it lately.

Certainly not much buzz about it lately.

I thought that was strange as well, unless everyone in the EU was waiting for the V3, and the fact that the imports in the US are V2 at best.

It won't be so bad if F/W can be flashed via the data port, however, it won't do any good if the underlying H/W is at fault. Either way, not really sure I want to experiment with 3 bills ATM.

If recent events don't prove my theory of look before you leap into new radios nothing will, it took 6 versions to get anytones near right, god knows how many to get this one right, patience is most definately a virtue when buying new radios,

Cobra took 3 versions and dumped it before the 200 GTL DX killed their reputation forever, its the people who listen to early review hype and go out and buy early production runs i feel for, they are the ones left with a less than decent product that gets harder to sell with every later version that comes out.

Best to stick to proven equipment is my advice and wait to see what happens before you throw hard earned cash away, nothing worse than buying something thats shit.:censored:

Reactions: 1 person
I should have some more info on the version 3 shortly and what changes were made.

I've been using the V1 now for a couple of month's since I did the factory recommended fixes and I've had no issues whatsoever. I know someone had mentioned the Cobra 200 GTL in regards to issues and getting things right but the Lincoln 2 and that radio shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

The Cobra 200 GTL was a "Turd" (m42duster reference there) :)

The Lincoln II is a nice radio that needed some bugs worked out. Unless it starts blowing finals left and right it's definitely not in the Cobra 200 GTL grouping.

People on this forum tend to be better educated (at least when it comes to radios) so I know expectations are much higher here than for many other forums or radio operators and thus people here are much more critical of radios which is good, but I always like to keep things in perspective. We know these radios aren't going to be as good as ham radios, and we know that they have features aimed at the CB market, and we know that the price is going to be a little high for what you get, but you still are getting quite a bit for your dollar these days.

I'm soon going to be reviewing the AT-6666 and some other new radios as well but I don't expect any of them to be groundbreaking, however I do think they will continue to offer more power, and more features in a smaller package.

The Lincoln II puts out 40+ watts, I get excellent reports on the air and I have no problems making DX contacts. The radio is solid on frequency and is easy to operate. It's definitely better after the fixes so I wouldn't have any worries about picking up a V3.

BUT time only tells if a radio will stack up in the long run. I enjoyed the CRE8900 thoroughly and made hundreds if not 1,000 of contacts with awesome reports....at least until the display went batty this year, and then the software started going haywire as well. Would I recommend the radio to someone for $300? NO. It doesn't stand up to heavy use over time, so I updated my review with the details.

I agree that for many the wait and see attitude definitely pays off, but there are also many people willing to have the newest available radios just because they love new equipment.

I think we're also getting radios that aren't tested as thoroughly as they should be because the manufacturers are being forced to get them to market quickly and at a low cost. If you know that as soon as you have a prototype the Chinese company is already figuring out a way to clone it and sell it cheaper, you have to get to market first. Our demand for low cost products also means quality control is going to suffer.

Overall though the radios coming to market are offering features that people could only dream about in exports just 10 years ago. I'm always blowing my money first on the latest thing so at the very least you guys can watch me make the mistakes before you spend your money.

All this to say I think the Lincoln II is a blast to operate and if it holds up better than the CRE8900 over time than I don't think there is a huge reason to be concerned. I still think some of my old boat anchors were easier on the ears than some of the new radios, but they also didn't fit in my dash or put out 50 watts.

I'm excited to try the AT-6666 and there are a couple of other new radios headed this way so at the very least you'll at least have lots of choices.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
i agree with ya on alot of points. and i always religiously watch your vids
and read the reviews. if ya think ya gonna review version 3 then ill just wait
ans see your review. i would like to request that you hook up a antenna
so we can hear it for our selfselfs ans see it in action

I think we're also getting radios that aren't tested as thoroughly as they should be because the manufacturers are being forced to get them to market quickly and at a low cost. If you know that as soon as you have a prototype the Chinese company is already figuring out a way to clone it and sell it cheaper, you have to get to market first. Our demand for low cost products also means quality control is going to suffer.

The Lincoln II is at low cost ... where???? overpriced ...

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?