• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Madison Freq Counter

Xitami

Apr 1, 2017
I got a real clean lookin madison, its the 8719 pll version, it has an open clarifier, The clock does not work in NZ due to our 50hz mains, clock looses 3hrs per day lol, so i took it out and put a 6 digit counter in.
I need to know where to hook it up so it follows the clarifier up and down, anyone done this or know the hook up location?
Its a 2 wire counter, earth and sense, where do you check to see clarifier swing?

Last edited:

I got a real clean lookin madison, its the 8719 pll version, it has an open clarifier, The clock does not work in NZ due to our 50hz mains, clock looses 3hrs per day lol, so i took it out and put a 6 digit counter in.
I need to know where to hook it up so it follows the clarifier up and down, anyone done this or know the hook up location?
Its a 2 wire counter, earth and sense, where do you check to see clarifier swing?
I'm assuming you didn't purchase it from Ralph. Even though I'm sure he'll help you. I'm also assuming yours is similar. Ask him he's a good guy and I don't think he'll have any problem helping you. eBay seller fastrack*09 on eBay. I had one instead on mine.

fastrack*09 on eBay. Good luck. 73

I'm assuming you didn't purchase it from Ralph. Even though I'm sure he'll help you. I'm also assuming yours is similar. Ask him he's a good guy and I don't think he'll have any problem helping you. eBay seller fastrack*09 on eBay. I had one instead on mine.

fastrack*09 on eBay. Good luck. 73
Hi there, no its not from Ralph, just a seller on ebay, i was lucky, it runs great, just needed new meters which are on the way, .
I do not know this Ralph guy, is he a tech or somesuch?

if you have a freq counter to probe around inside with check the top of R106 for freq to the counter. I have a 8719PLL radio that hooked to the top of R106 to get the freq with. mine was a counter from Ralph.

Hm
if you have a freq counter to probe around inside with check the top of R106 for freq to the counter. I have a 8719PLL radio that hooked to the top of R106 to get the freq with. mine was a counter from Ralph.[/QUOTE
Hmmm, r106 returned no reading, cant be same board me thinks

There are different versions of the Madison with different PLL chips (either the 858/early or the 8719/later production PLL chassis), which will make all of the difference here - regarding your request.

http://www.qsl.net/kf6foz/transitional/transitional.html

Can you post a picture of the full front of your radio here?

Do you hear a relay 'click' when you key the mic?

Last edited:
Reactions: tecnicoloco
There are different versions of the Madison with different PLL chips (either the 858/early or the 8719/later production PLL chassis), which will make all of the difference here - regarding your request.

http://www.qsl.net/kf6foz/transitional/transitional.html

Can you post a picture of the full front of your radio here?

Do you hear a relay 'click' when you key the mic?
Hi, mine is the 8719 pll, no relay, 4 led on front, 3 button on front, "President" under the 4 leds, "Madison" under channel knob, cheers

R106 is where you'd tap off of to get your counter reading, but try using a 1K ohm resistor in series with the hot lead going to the counter, or use a 47pf capacitor in series. make sure the shield wire is properly grounded.

Also, make sure the counter module you're using is set for 7.8 mhz IF. If it's not set at 7.8 mhz IF, the counter will not read properly, will read somewhere in the 45 mhz area. Most counter modules are set up for 10.695 mhz IF, so this has to be changed to 7.8 mhz to display correctly.

Let us know how you get on.

~Cheers~

Reactions: 575 and Robb
R106 is where you'd tap off of to get your counter reading, but try using a 1K ohm resistor in series with the hot lead going to the counter, or use a 47pf capacitor in series. make sure the shield wire is properly grounded.

Also, make sure the counter module you're using is set for 7.8 mhz IF. If it's not set at 7.8 mhz IF, the counter will not read properly, will read somewhere in the 45 mhz area. Most counter modules are set up for 10.695 mhz IF, so this has to be changed to 7.8 mhz to display correctly.

Let us know how you get on.

~Cheers~
Yo,
Im getting 35.189mhz from top of r106

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.