• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Madison VFO

Henry HPSD

19DX348
Dec 14, 2006
The Netherlands
cb-antennas.com
HI guys,

came across a President Madison with a VFO.
It seems to be a "original" version.

I cant find much information about it other than some German fellow asking if someone has one for sale.

Can anyone put me in the rigth direction ?
Is it a original verion or is it perhaps a modified version of the Muller electronic company ?
is it perhaps "just" a president adams VFO ?

Any thougths are appriciated .

Kind regards,

Henry 19SD348
HPSD Antenna systems
All about antennas

Might you be able to post a picture of it? Is the VFO internal or external?

Never seen a Pres with a VFO, unless you count the 2510, 2600 and the George (and the VFO on the George wasn't anything to write home about)

Reactions: 1 person
Hello,

Im in the middle of buying the object.
I dont think it is a "series" production.
There were however a few "aftermarket" companies who altered "standard" cb sets.

The VFO is located at the location of the clock and has the words "VFO UNIT" written on it.
I havnt checked in but migth be an aftermarkt product of muller electronic.

A google search on "muller electronic"
Black panter 2000 dx (ps i have one :)))
or president Adams (vfo) (not yet :-(( )

As soon as it seems the modification is done "pro" .
Ill buy it and post some pics.

Kind regards,

Henry Poelman

Last edited:
Hello,

I still needed to upload some pictures..

Thats the madision...
with an old home made vfo unit.

And a couple days ago i finally found a orignal president adams vfo.

It has some work, as the bottom of the digits isnt working, and the ligth behind the s-needle isnt working...but im really happy to found one.
PS this is the only picture i know of of a "real" president adams vfo, if anyone has more...or other information, please do share !

Last edited:
Reactions: Retro CB Guy
Hello,

I still needed to upload some pictures..

Thats the madision...
with an old home made vfo unit.

And a couple days ago i finally found a orignal president adams vfo.

It has some work, as the bottom of the digits isnt working, and the ligth behind the s-needle isnt working...but im really happy to found one.
PS this is the only picture i know of of a "real" president adams vfo, if anyone has more...or other information, please do share !

you will find loads of adams vfo picsvids here https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=president+adams+vfo

from what i know most were done by Muller in Germany but may be a few done elsewhere as a few techs in late 80's early 90's had the capability, they definately weren't production line from Uniden, 73 Jazz

images
interesting one here with counter switches

source : http://78roger.free.fr/president/adams.htm

I'm not sure what all the fuss is about these hacked up radios, in my opinion I'd rather have an as new untouched one, they are classic radios and hacking them up is sacrilidge be it for 10m or ukfm or wherever else they put them, i wouldn't even eprom a radio, better as they were intended, but just my opinion, now back to the search for a nice President Benjamin and Richard :)

Thanks for the reply jazzsinger !

Sadly, you wont find any "real" pictures of an adams VFO on google.

The pictures provided are all copied from an add.
Or the pictures relate to the standard adams in one way or another.

The only "real" proof is a film made by "erik".
That adams vfo came from a guy up in the North part of Holland and was sold towards the US.

The adams VFO was commercial availible from LM electronics.

If there are more pictures of an adam vfo i will be happy to have them in the collection.

Kind regards,

Henry

owh almost forgot...
the richard and benjamin are quite frequently for sale on:
www.marktplaats.nl

richard:
http://www.marktplaats.nl/z.html?query=president richard&categoryId=0&postcode=9865TG&distance=0

Think one of the sellers has a benjamin as well...
I've seen them on e bay too Henry, I have 2 Richards already, but want a mint boxed one, missed one in italy as guy wanted cheque, too dodgy, I'm patient, right ones will come up eventually. I'm quite fussy, they need to be totally unmodded except for export mod which is built in being activated.

Unfortuneately my Dutch is nowhere near as good as my French, I have been on Marktplaats a few times and seen some interesting stuff, but not too sure if you can use paypal like e bay.fr.

I'll check them out ;) thanks 73 Jazz

Thanks for the reply jazzsinger !

Sadly, you wont find any "real" pictures of an adams VFO on google.

The pictures provided are all copied from an add.
Or the pictures relate to the standard adams in one way or another.

The only "real" proof is a film made by "erik".
That adams vfo came from a guy up in the North part of Holland and was sold towards the US.

The adams VFO was commercial availible from LM electronics.

If there are more pictures of an adam vfo i will be happy to have them in the collection.

Kind regards,

Henry

I've only heard of them, Adams is a beautiful radio as standard, remember using the export version in 80's, think it was 80ch, back then in Glasgow with no internet was hard to source info on what was about elsewhere in Europe, a few Adams,Cobra 148 GTL DX, Stalker 1X with FM, Madison, Washington and Dwight D made it here, but most have been butchered now, with people adding ukfm,

A few SS360FM made it here too and WKS1001, Stag 357, Colt 485dx,and many Midlands, Colts, Ham Int and a few others could be sourced, but Cobra 148 GTL DX was the mainstay,

Always wanted a Cobra 2000 GTL, would have dropped it to the s.low to cover my favourite 26.285 in those days, but would have done crystal change and retune and just kept it 40ch, if I got one now would do the same but crystal it up for 555 band,

I hate mods that involve cutting tracks/widebanding tricks and had enough radios to do all bands without putting multi bands in them, that way they can easily be returned to original.

I like radios as original as possible, I viewed putting ukfm in them as a sin, lol, not like there wasn't plenty good ukfm radios about and most decent multimodes could access those channels anyway with KC shift, without modding them, I spoke to many 19 Division stations on UKFM in 82 via sporadic e, Using my 148 GTL DX,

I thought it was just laziness to add Uk40, to give 1-40 readout, I knew all the channels off by heart any way, Didn't take 19 Div long to find those of us with big signals in 82, mostly on SS360FM's, in those days most people thought 4w FM dx into the Netherlands was impossible, but it was easy with a good antenna, I used mighty magnum 3 above a 3 element beam then, so was no problem.

I just think its a shame to hack up such timeless classics, had no issue with modding Cybernet or Maxon radios, they were shit anyway, but not Unidens :)

Good Luck finding what you seek, if I come across anything on my travels about both I'll let you know. 73 Jazz

Last edited:
this vfo seems like it could be related to the Yeti or it's north America cousin the sasquatch. Some say even the vfo film is a fraud. Some say it was made by a guy and his friend. One did the filming Wyle the other guy sat motionless on a table Wyle wearing a Madison/vfo suite. THINK ABOUT IT!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.