• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Madison won't power on

Jim, you need to align the IF cans also. the 7.8 mhz ones.

if you don't, your SSB freqs will be off.
34.9825 mixes with 7.7975 to give you 27.1850

there is a lot to a radio alignment, and right now you don't even know if your counter is calibrated to be accurate.
you can't do the job if you don't have the tools.
LC

Jim, you need to align the IF cans also. the 7.8 mhz ones.

if you don't, your SSB freqs will be off.
34.9825 mixes with 7.7975 to give you 27.1850

there is a lot to a radio alignment, and right now you don't even know if your counter is calibrated to be accurate.
you can't do the job if you don't have the tools.
LC
I calibrated it to match the 1khz output on my oscope, may not be 100% there, but I think its close.

I'm gonna get the astro plane up in the air per your grounding instructions and see how it performs. Still need to lower overall power coming out of the madi to match the modified KL203 it will be connected to. With the 13n10s in there with the faster relay, it seems to be a lot more forgiving of higher input numbers than the stock Mosfets that had the identifying marks sanded off.

If I can run decent DX on the current alignment, I'll leave it as is. Basically everything works as it should, including the AM offset between TX and RX. RX freq is right on with the clarifier at about the 1230 position. If I run sideband on 10M all day, I should be good with the current setup yes?

Having an interesting issue with AM xmit. About 1/3 of the time, It transmits it's usual 1.2k high over rx, when I key off it shifts to somewhere around 28.031. It stays there on rx until I toggle to USB, wait a second, then turn back to AM which returns it back to where it should be. Any ideas?

your VCO is most likely having issues.

try giving it a slight tweak in either direction and see if the problem goes away.
LC

Still working on VCO. Thought I'd post a pic of my short astro plane. I was able to hear Baltimore and North Carolina yesterday evening and talk sideband to NV and Utah. Hell of an antenna.

Attachments

• IMG_20170729_110402.jpg
    IMG_20170729_110402.jpg
    763.6 KB · Views: 13
well Jim i live in NV so i might be able to hear you one of these nights when i am off work.

one tip on that astro plane. get some UV proof nylon cable ties and secure that hoop to the mast so that it is captured in the center and cannot move in the wind.

the wind can tend to shake the bottom sections loose over time, and also if the mast is not sitting in the center of the hoop it can affect your SWR.
LC

Hello guys.........Buy President Madison a few days ago....and We dont opened,,,,,Please let me a road to check tghe first time on this radio..Thank you very muhc for your help

boy oh boy Johnnycash1, that was a bit hard to understand.

I understand if english isn't your first language, but could you take some more time in making your post so we can understand what you need?
LC

Hello loose......Yes......My english is not perfect......Thank a lot for your time....My CB Madison doesnt power up......what is the first line........I check,,,,,,Thank you so much guys

there is a switch on the back that says AC/DC.

make sure it is in the AC position if you are plugging it in to the wall.
LC

ok, check the fuse on the back of the radio.

if that is ok, then switch that switch to the DC position and try running the radio off of a DC 13.8 volt power supply.
LC

Reactions: Redbeard U812
ok, first place to check for your 13.8 volts is at the power switch that is on the back of the volume control pot.

check it on both sides of the switch with it turned 'on'.

if you don't get the 13.8 volts out of the switch then it is bad and needs to be replaced.

if you do get 13.8 volts on both sides of the switch, then find the MB3756 voltage regulator.
it is located on the right side of the chassis mounted to the wall.
it has 8 pins and is closer to the front of the radio than the audio chip which has 10 pins.

pin 1 of the MB3756 is the one toward the back of the radio, and pin 8 is toward the front.

with power applied, and radio on, check the voltage on pin 2. you should find 13.8 volts there.
if you do find 13.8 volts there, then measure the voltage on pin 1 and post your results here.

if you do not find that voltage on pin 2, then lift that pin from the PC board and check the trace itself. do you have 13.8 volts on the trace?

let me know what you find.
LC

Reactions: Redbeard U812

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated