• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Problem with a Dosy meter

T

TalkingTall

I have a Dosy Test Center model TC-4001
The problem Im having with is the needle will not go past the 4 on the meter in any mode.
I cant set the swr or the modulation because of this problem.
To get a peak reading on the watts for my radio, I have to set it on the 200 watt setting.
I can't even check the wattage on my 2x4 on the 2000 watt reading because the needle wont go past 400 watts.

Anybody ever run accross the same prolem or maybe have a suggestion on what I can do?
I called Dosy and they told me if I sent it to them it would probably cost about $40.00 to repair and return.
It would cost me $10.00 to ship it there, and I really dont think a Dosy is worth sinking $50.00 into.
Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions you guys might have...TT

if you want to get that meter worked on & cant find anybody, call george at q.p. inc.- dosy meters , talk to george they have owner ship with dosy now. he's real fair & honest real good fixing meters - 1-574-295-6884., good luck. :)

country boy jr said:
if you want to get that meter worked on & cant find anybody, call george at q.p. inc.- dosy meters , talk to george they have owner ship with dosy now. he's real fair & honest real good fixing meters - 1-574-295-6884., good luck. :)
Thank you....That is who I spoke to when I called about getting it fixed.He seemed like a real nice guy.

either one of two things has occurred. either the d'arsonval movement itself has been mechanically damaged or the paper that the meter scales are printed on has pulled loose away from the immediate surface underneath and has "lifted up" interfering with the movement of the needle. the latter of the two is the most likely cause of the failure if no mishandling has been involved.

i have seen this occur in several units, particularly when used in humid environments caused by days of rain or in a room where temperature is controlled with the use of an evaporative cooler.

here's something you can try. if you use any form of incandescent lighting on or in the bench area try moving the light (40 - 60 Watts works well) source into the area of the front face of the meter movement and leave it there for 10 - 15 minutes or so. the heat from the bulb will dry out the paper, even with the lense covering in place and as it does the paper scale will "lay back down" onto the backing surface underneath it. if you have a rig connected to the wattmeter during the drying out period you will see the movement begin to free up as the scale dries out. i have used thin, clear sheets of transparent vellum secured over the top of the paper scale to prevent this type of thing in the future and it's a relatively inexpensive and lasting fix.

freecell said:
either one of two things has occurred. either the d'arsonval movement itself has been mechanically damaged or the paper that the meter scales are printed on has pulled loose away from the immediate surface underneath and has "lifted up" interfering with the movement of the needle. the latter of the two is the most likely cause of the failure if no mishandling has been involved.

i have seen this occur in several units, particularly when used in humid environments caused by days of rain or in a room where temperature is controlled with the use of an evaporative cooler.

here's something you can try. if you use any form of incandescent lighting on or in the bench area try moving the light (40 - 60 Watts works well) source into the area of the front face of the meter movement and leave it there for 10 - 15 minutes or so. the heat from the bulb will dry out the paper, even with the lense covering in place and as it does the paper scale will "lay back down" onto the backing surface underneath it. if you have a rig connected to the wattmeter during the drying out period you will see the movement begin to free up as the scale dries out. i have used thin, clear sheets of transparent vellum secured over the top of the paper scale to prevent this type of thing in the future and it's a relatively inexpensive and lasting fix.

Than You freecell I will give it a try and post the results. I got the meter from a friend in Cali and he swore it was working when he sent it and I do believe him. He and I have dealt alot in the past and the dude is 100%.

SwitchKit....I forgot about Geekster...He sure does know his meters...Thanks...TT

I bought a paradynamics meter from ebay recently. The seller said it worked like new. Hooked it up, no modulation meter movement. Pulled the front cover off to access movement and sweep needle with my finger. Would not return to 0. There is a small flathead screw on the front that adjusts the tension for the needle. It usually will have some form of threadlocker on it. Adjust this screw until needle moves freely. Simple fix and works like it should. He got positive feedback, btw.(y)

This trick also works on cb meters. Have done it many times with 0 failures. There are 2 screws on those though. I had to file the jewelers screwdriver down to fit the screwhead. Good luck. Post results.

I too have a brand new Dosy 4001 and it works great except on pep it wont swing past 350 watts.
My friends two 4001's will swing to 550 watts on my amp.
Any thoughts or tricks???
Thanks
God Bless

An old watch repair trick is to disassemble the meter "if possible" and suspend over a container of mineral spirits for a day or 3 or 4 to clean and lubricate the jeweled movements.

Worked great on my bird meter movement, thanks again Bob85.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
+1 on the threadlocker on the meter tension screw, my tech heated up the screw for 5 sec or so and was able to free up a 30+ year needle for me on a president S/RF meter.

I had a Dosy TC4001 with the modulation meter not working and there is a pot inside that you can adjust i reset mine and now it works. Search old threads there is 5 pots and the thread gives locations and what they adjust.

I too have a brand new Dosy 4001 and it works great except on pep it wont swing past 350 watts.
My friends two 4001's will swing to 550 watts on my amp.
Any thoughts or tricks???
Thanks
God Bless

I called Dosy and spoke to George and he said to turn R11 pot for the swing.
I did that comparing it to my friends good meter and it's perfect now.
George said it must of slipped by the calibration dept. when shipped.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated