• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Procomm Patriot 12 Foot CB Base Antenna advise

KOBO

Wood Butcher
Greetings one and all.

I am slowly moving along setting up a home base (cb).

What I haven't borrowed or recycled, from what I had already laying around, I have been getting from Craigslist.

Today I picked up from a guy 2 lengths of coax, one about 40 feet & another about 50 feet; nice stuff too.

Along with that came two new Procomm Patriot 12 Foot CB Base Antennas.

I got all for $40, so I dont think I went too wrong on the deal.

I will use the steel tube from the upper part of a chain link fence to raise one of them above my garage. The steel tube is 21 feet long and will be sistered up to a 16 foot 2x4 that will be mounted to the wall of my garage (am I making sense here?).

Until I see how sturdy this all is I wont raise the antenna to its fullest hight.

Has anyone experience with this antenna, and can anyone give me some pointers I should know?

I am not sure how good of a unit it is, but hopefully it is better than the wilson 2000 I have used ( I have a 102 steel whip up now but I have to give it back to the owner)

Yes; be aware of the locations of overhead power wires.
They can and do kill.
Other than that; do you have a model number on the antenna? Then post it here. More info and discussion to follow when acquired.

ANTENNA?

Do NOT know anything about that antenna but I have the PROTON 99 which is made by the same company & it works GREAT at 20 ft.I am moving it UP to 40 ft TOMORROW so I'm sure it will be even BETTER then! :whistle:

SIX-SHOOTER

The first thing that comes to mind with that 20 to 40 foot height adjustment is to be sure and guy the thing! If it were mine, I'd do that guying at two levels, 20 feet and at 40 feet. I have no idea if you are doing that anyway, but it NEVER hurts, and can sure help prevent those "Oh Shirts!" thingys. Prevention is always better than having to re-do the @#$ thing later. (I'd say ask me how I know, but it's too embarrassing.)
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person
Guying?

Going from 2 sections of chain link fence rail to 4 sections of Rohn 25.I will NOT be guying the Rohn 25 since it will be buried about 2 ft & eve mounted on my shed & have just the PROTON 99 on it! My 50 ft of Rohn 25 with 5 yagis is guyed at 45 ft ONLY & NOT eve mounted & it has done just fine with the North Florida weather over the last 6 years.It is going up all at once & will NOT be CLIMBED!

SIX-SHOOTER :whistle:

Thank you everyone for your input.

The patriot is a junk antenna.

Yeah, I know it is not a Jewel, but as I first noted, considering what I am working with already, I hope that it is at least equal, hopefully a little better, than what I have right now.

I also look at it from the perspective of a learning experience. The coax alone was worth what I paid for everything, any mistakes I make now are not going to hurt me a whole lot financially, and anything I learn will be a great experience for the future.

I would rather make my boo boo's on something cheap, wouldn't you?

I am fully aware that even the greatest radio will not perform well with a crummy antenna; I have a nice base radio, eventually I will have a equally nice antenna.

Have a Magical Day

K

Thank you everyone for your input.

Yeah, I know it is not a Jewel, but as I first noted, considering what I am working with already, I hope that it is at least equal, hopefully a little better, than what I have right now.

I also look at it from the perspective of a learning experience. The coax alone was worth what I paid for everything, any mistakes I make now are not going to hurt me a whole lot financially, and anything I learn will be a great experience for the future.

I would rather make my boo boo's on something cheap, wouldn't you?

I am fully aware that even the greatest radio will not perform well with a crummy antenna; I have a nice base radio, eventually I will have a equally nice antenna.

Have a Magical Day

K

I think you did fine too.
When you find an upgrade antenna in the future, the one you have now can become a backup antenna.

Sounds like you got a good deal! I have heard some good, some bad from people using the Patriot antennas. Once you have it up and get to test it out, let us know what you think of it. Good luck!

There have been times when I was down to nothing for an antenna. You are way ahead of nothing. I agree that you should try it and see what you have. If you don't care for it you can make something that will do a decent job without to much trouble.
Good luck and enjoy yourself.

First impressions.....

So, as a test, I temporarily hoisted the antenna up yesterday afternoon.

Right now it is on top of the 21 ft pole which is fastened to a 2x3, mounted at the peak of the garage, and to the garage itself to hold it stable. This leaves the base of it almost 6 feet above the roof of the garage.

You can get an idea of the test set up HERE

Tuning the SWR was ridiculously simple; basically adjusting two nuts up or down a threaded portion of the unit. As it sits right now the SWR is a flat 1.0 on channel 1, 1.1 on 19 and 1.6 on 40.

I am certainly hearing better than I was; of course I am also a bit higher than I was with the borrowed 102 whip as well. This has its draw backs though because I am also getting a greater mishmash of voices in the background.

Another pleasant surprise was with the coax. I do not know what brand it is, the words PRO8U LOW LOSS RG 8/U are printed on it, but the stuff is 7/16's of an inch thick; much heavier than what I had.

As well; the coax still had its factory ties on it when I picked it up and although he had said it was about 50 feet, it is actually more like 75 feet. I have a 50 foot piece attached to the lower 102 whip and still had to add a short piece just to reach my radio; the new stuff makes it to the radio with plenty to spare so I'll be able to go a bit higher without having to add more.

The mini 8 coax that also came in the bundle was listed as being only 40 feet long but that is at least 75 feet as well.

Unfortunately I can not give you numbers on how much better I am sending and receiving; although radio checks come back okay, I have not yet made contact with some of the folks I have spoken with around here to find out if they hear me better, and the gauges on my old 2000 are stuck so I cant read the strength of their signals anyway.

However, at this point in time, I am figuring that this was $40 well spent.

Later on I want to mount the other antenna up in one of the tall pines on the side of the garage; that should make a nice difference, and I still have some of the mini 8 coax left to play with for other projects.(y)

Well, it may not have the best reputation in the world, but it's an improvement so who cares. Good!
I would have to think that the 'improvement' is due to the antenna being tuned, and the thing being a little higher than that whip. Tuning a whip certainly isn't impossible, but it's not as easy as making a simple adjustment as provided with the present antenna. That's why this antenna is made that way, it's just easier to 'do'. Nice, ain't it?
Coax feed lines.
The size/diameter of coax is one of the things, along with the center conductor's diameter and separation distance from the braid, that determines the characteristic impedance of that coax. There really is a reason why whatever coax it is is as 'thick ' as it is. The power handling capability of that 'size' isn't why some are larger than others. It does have something to do with power handling capability, but it's never as important as the impedance. The dielectic insulation (inner insulation) and it's electrical properties also plays a part in all that, determines what impedance you end up with.
That 7/16, or .405 inch is a 'standard' size for RG-8U coax. The particular coax supplied may not be a name brand, but it sounds fairly typical. that particular 'size' coax is probably about as typical as you can get, it's been around for almost forever. RG-8X is smaller in diameter, but so is the center conductor, and the distance between center conductor and braid is 'right' for the diameters and dielectic insulation used. It's also a typical size and is sort of 'standard'. It's used because it's more flexible, easier to work with in general. There are differences, but not all that much, and unless it's used in a fairly long 'run', those differences are not all that apparent. With all the other variables in the situation, if it 'fits', and isn't a problem working with, use which ever one you want. (For me, it boils down to what I have, or want to spend, and I've used enough of both to 'S.W.A.G.' it fairly close, sort of. ) And the whole 'mess' if frequency dependent.
Making comparisons using the commonly available 'S' and SWR meters.
That's never 'objective' and is always 'subjective'. Which means how ever you do it without using a 'standardized' set up and special instruments is going to be an 'opinion', not measurable fact. There's so many variables in that to account for, that it's very difficult (impossible) to have something that's NOT merely an 'opinion. Then again, if it seems an improvement, then good. Your ears are just not calibrated for precise measurements. They can do yes/no type decisions, forget exact stuff.
All in all, I figure you made a good investment too. Good for you!
- 'Doc

(Paint it pink! That always helps... sort of like 'STP' stickers, and the right color socks.)

Well, it may not have the best reputation in the world, but it's an improvement so who cares. Good!
I would have to think that the 'improvement' is due to the antenna being tuned, and the thing being a little higher than that whip. Tuning a whip certainly isn't impossible, but it's not as easy as making a simple adjustment as provided with the present antenna. That's why this antenna is made that way, it's just easier to 'do'. Nice, ain't it?
Coax feed lines.
The size/diameter of coax is one of the things, along with the center conductor's diameter and separation distance from the braid, that determines the characteristic impedance of that coax. There really is a reason why whatever coax it is is as 'thick ' as it is. The power handling capability of that 'size' isn't why some are larger than others. It does have something to do with power handling capability, but it's never as important as the impedance. The dielectic insulation (inner insulation) and it's electrical properties also plays a part in all that, determines what impedance you end up with.
That 7/16, or .405 inch is a 'standard' size for RG-8U coax. The particular coax supplied may not be a name brand, but it sounds fairly typical. that particular 'size' coax is probably about as typical as you can get, it's been around for almost forever. RG-8X is smaller in diameter, but so is the center conductor, and the distance between center conductor and braid is 'right' for the diameters and dielectic insulation used. It's also a typical size and is sort of 'standard'. It's used because it's more flexible, easier to work with in general. There are differences, but not all that much, and unless it's used in a fairly long 'run', those differences are not all that apparent. With all the other variables in the situation, if it 'fits', and isn't a problem working with, use which ever one you want. (For me, it boils down to what I have, or want to spend, and I've used enough of both to 'S.W.A.G.' it fairly close, sort of. ) And the whole 'mess' if frequency dependent.
Making comparisons using the commonly available 'S' and SWR meters.
That's never 'objective' and is always 'subjective'. Which means how ever you do it without using a 'standardized' set up and special instruments is going to be an 'opinion', not measurable fact. There's so many variables in that to account for, that it's very difficult (impossible) to have something that's NOT merely an 'opinion. Then again, if it seems an improvement, then good. Your ears are just not calibrated for precise measurements. They can do yes/no type decisions, forget exact stuff.
All in all, I figure you made a good investment too. Good for you!
- 'Doc

Hello Doc!

Thank you for the interesting info; much appreciated. There is a lot to learn but so long as it remains fun I have no problem with it.

(Paint it pink! That always helps... sort of like 'STP' stickers, and the right color socks.)

I more than likely will paint part of the structure to mask it a bit; I have already gotten that look from the wife, the one that says 'what is it, and does it have to stay there?'

Oh well.

K

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.