• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Procomm Patriot 12 Foot CB Base Antenna advise

Thanks.

Am familiar with most of the basics but will read throught them and see if I can learn something new.

Thanks.

Am familiar with most of the basics but will read throught them and see if I can learn something new.

YW
I had a low swr reading with my 1/4 wave SS whip I used for a base station antenna but it was using the coax shield and the tv antennas I had it's mounting base grounded to to provide the ground plane.

Also,the antenna gods might be inclined to pitch in here with their help.
:D

with all you,ve done i think i would just adjust for lowest swr where ya gonna talk the most.
then every where else will be higher. id also try a maco boomer groundplane kit or a99 gpk
and the put a rf choke on it.if ya unable to do radials then id move antenna to where the roof peaks are lower so the gpk will be above it. i had to do this with my antenna, it sits on
the corner of house. in the middle mine wouldnt clear the roof either.

HOLY COW!

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Dragged my PAT-12 out of the attic and decided to try one last thing.

As I mentioned earlier, in trying to tune it I eventually moved the tuning rings up as far as they would go. I then tried attaching a steel hose clamp above them as someone suggested. Still no luck. So into the attic it went.

Then I remembered this: According to the Firestik website, If the SWR on channel 40 is greater than that on channel 1, your antenna is considered to be "LONG" and reduction of physical height and/or conductor length will correct this situation. So I trimmed it.

First, I took 1" off the top (with a hacksaw). SWR's went DOWN.
Took off 1/2" more. SWR's improved again.
Took off 1/2" more. A total of 2". BANG!

SWR on CH 1 is 1.2!
SWR on CH 20 is 1.1!
SWR on CH 40 is 1.2!

They used to be in the 2.8 range.

Skip is going crazy and I'm hearing people from North Carolina to New Jersey.
Got a radio check from a trucker passing through town. He was only about 5 miles away but said my 1977 Royce Model 619 with stock mic I sounded great.

My antenna sits where it originally did. On a 15' mast at the corner of my house. I have a tall, steeply-pitched roof and the antenna doesn't come close to clearing it.

This is the old Riverman. Down Texas way. Fixin' to go eat some Buffalo Wild Wings and get ready for some football on TV. Over and out.

SAD NEWS

My miracle fix (trimming 2" off top the top of my PAT-12) has had the last laugh.

This morning I finished up my installation by taping the coax to the mast and attaching the mast to the eave bracket. (Yesterday I just had it leaned against the eave since there was no wind and had the coax just hanging loose).

Yep, you guessed it, my SWR's went UP! From 1.1 to 2.3! Don't know if the cause is the bracket or the coax taped to the mast and don't care. I've had it! I don't want my coax flapping in the wind and being a trip hazard. And I darn sure have to secure the mast to the house.

Took it down. Hacksawed it in half. Put my radio back in its box and in the closet.

Sorry I got everyone's hopes up.

This is the Riverman. Down Texas way. Signing off.
We gone.

Maybe a rf choke would've helped. Don't give up. You just need more knowledge. :D

P.S. At least you got your swr down by trimming some off the top. It could be that you have CMC on the coax shield. A antenna base to ground connection might would've helped.

Last edited:
Maybe a rf choke would've helped. Don't give up. You just need more knowledge. :D

P.S. At least you got your swr down by trimming some off the top. It could be that you have CMC on the coax shield. A antenna base to ground connection might would've helped.

I think the "Hacksawed it in half" part of his last post is going to negate any further experimenting with this antenna.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
You might have a point there. What's another good low profile antenna that could fill the bill?
A simple horizontal dipole would be great of Riverman71 is only working DX since there's not much going on local.

well wish i could help more. but ive heard this about this antenna before.
i never had 1 to tinker with.so really hard to say.my advice go back to ya
hmemade 1/4 gp. then later if ya wanna talk more dx . buy a rotable dipole
sirio d27 or maco makes one also

Would like to have a horizontal 1/2 wave dipole but part of it would hang over the fence above the neighbor's yard.

About all that's left is a Sirio Boomerang 27A or 27W.

Or give up and go back to croquet or lawn darts.

Would like to have a horizontal 1/2 wave dipole but part of it would hang over the fence above the neighbor's yard.

Let the ends of each leg drop down a bit or put it up as an inverted V.

Dipoles are quite forgiving and you can bend the legs in all kinds of directions as long as you don't make the bends more than 90 degrees.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.