• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pullin the Trigger on Tuesday

W1MSG

Now W1MSG
May 9, 2010
MA
Well I guess I will be pulling the trigger on a new radio on Tuesday, gonna drive up to HRO in Salem and see what I come home with.

I am thinking the FT-857D and the AT-30 Tuner, should be able to do both for just under 1k ..

Any recommendations are welcome as I havent committed as of yet, I was looking at the review on the FT-897 and if I did that I would have to wait on the tuner a bit longer. I have a G5VR Jr antenna for 10 to 40 meter, still havent taken the General test yet and I don't plan on doing CW, I have tried to learn it but my head has been rattled by too many IED's and I just cant seem to get it.

So Fire away with the suggestions, remember I am a poor soldier boy...

:pop:

ft857d

I have a ft857d for 3 years now...super all bands and no trouble with it. Since you are using a computer<obvious>, if you get it and want to work digital modes,,go to ebay and look up ft857d cable or digital, a chap in England sells the cable which plugs into the data connection and run it to your pc...turn off alc in your ft857d, and use fldigi <free> and work digital modes....if you get a ft857d let me know and I will send you my settings for digital work...

DOCTOR/795

http://cgi.ebay.com/PSK31-Interface...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563750014e

All I have to say is, if you get the 857D, buy the RT Systems cable and programming software, it will work with Ham Radio Deluxe(the cable) and it makes programming freqs a lot easier. The 857 is a compact mobile all mode rig, with all the menu driven stuff the HRD software makes it a lot better to use as a base radio. Good luck on the General test.

All I have to say is, if you get the 857D, buy the RT Systems cable and programming software, it will work with Ham Radio Deluxe(the cable) and it makes programming freqs a lot easier. The 857 is a compact mobile all mode rig, with all the menu driven stuff the HRD software makes it a lot better to use as a base radio. Good luck on the General test.

I'll second that for the RT Systems software. I have the FT-857 and would not be without it for programming.

Base or Mobile?

Craig- base op or mobile? I have the FT-897D here as a base HF rig and love it.
The 857 I could see for mobile, but the controls are too cramped for me. unless I really had to save the space.

For an antenna tuner I really recommend the LDG AT line of auto-tuners...super fast- 3,000 memories. I have the AT-200Pro here and love that also.

Agree on get the ADMS SW, same as RT Systems and cable. Also suggest a Rigblaster PNP interface for audio to do PSK when you upgrade. West Mountain Radio is here in Norwalk CT and I can hook you up on that.

+1 on the LDG tuner and RT software.
I love my 897 and if you can live with the smaller face of the 857 then go with it

Ok well did all my homework and the verdict is in FT-857D and the LDG YT-100 Tuner, gonna drive up to Salem on Tuesday morning to pick it up. I will have my antenna installed this weekend so all I will have to do is plug and play when I get home. Looks like it will be VHF/UHF 6M and 10M till I can get off my dead butt and take the General Exam.
HRO gave me a decent price, $928.95 with the free seperation kit.
I also ordered the RT System software & Cable and I have been using the HRD software so it will be cool to finally have a radio to interface with HRD.

Craig

If you can spring for the LDG FT-Meter that is made for the FT-857, do it. You'll want it later if you're going to use this as a fixed station:

images

The built in meters are really difficult to use to tell what is going on, IMO.

If you can spring for the LDG FT-Meter that is made for the FT-857, do it. You'll want it later if you're going to use this as a fixed station:

FT-Meterwradio-thumb.jpg

The built in meters are really difficult to use to tell what is going on, IMO.

I agree. (y) I bought the FT-Meter to use while mobile at first and it was a blessing. I know use it strictly in the shack and it is still great to have the nice big meter and you can set the external meter to show power for instance and the internal meter showing SWR or ALC at the same time.

Ok well did all my homework and the verdict is in FT-857D and the LDG YT-100 Tuner, gonna drive up to Salem on Tuesday morning to pick it up. I will have my antenna installed this weekend so all I will have to do is plug and play when I get home. Looks like it will be VHF/UHF 6M and 10M till I can get off my dead butt and take the General Exam.
HRO gave me a decent price, $928.95 with the free seperation kit.
I also ordered the RT System software & Cable and I have been using the HRD software so it will be cool to finally have a radio to interface with HRD.

Craig
Right on man good choice keep us updated and pics when you get it:pop:

Ok Gonna pull the trigger tomorrow instead of Tuesday. Hope to get my antenna hung this afternoon and drive up to Salem in the morning. My Free remote kit isnt in yet so they will have to ship that to me.

I'll be looking for some input on working the 10m band and hope to take my General in the next couple of weeks as things are slowing down a little at work so I can do some prep tests online.

I'm hanging a G5RV Jr and hope to have enough room to do it, it seems the LDG tuner will tune it without any issues if all the reviews I read are correct.

Anyway, I'll take some pictures and maybe write a short review from a HF Rookies perspective ...

Craig

My RT Systems software and cable came in today, all installed and waiting on the radio. I also just hung my G5RV Jr antenna with the LDG Tuner I should be all set. We shall see tomorrow. Its also gonna be kind of cool to work the sats when I get the beam and rotator installed but that might be a while.

It was a pain hanging the antenna, I hung a guy rope from my chimney to an oak in the back yard, what a pain. I had to climb up the tree and cut some branches, and the pitch on my roof is pretty steep ( 1867 Farm House ) .. Anyway I cant wait to get the radio tomorrow !

The 10 meter band is very unstable ...or was the other day.Very few stations if any,or the band was totally dead.You will be limited from 28.300 to 28.500 usb for voice,28.400 +/- for the tech ssb call frequency....but hang in there and you will make some contacts..as of late when the band does open up it dont last long.It is usually late afternoon to early evening when it is open,at least for me that is the time frame

Heard Japan yesterday (thursday) on 17 meters ...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated