• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pullin the Trigger on Tuesday

Well I am finally studying for the General exam and hope to get the test out of the way next month so I will have a little more access to the bands.

I will also be listening to everything I can pick up hehehe

The part that really puzzles me is the License Exams, none of the exams really have any focus on how you operate the radio, now if you need a license to build one they cover that pretty well. How many people really build radios anymore? Or am I in the dark with this. Just doesnt make sense to answer some pretty technical questions on electrical circuits so I can talk on 20m :cry:

Anyway not complaining, just seems rather out dated ..

Well I am finally studying for the General exam and hope to get the test out of the way next month so I will have a little more access to the bands.

I will also be listening to everything I can pick up hehehe

The part that really puzzles me is the License Exams, none of the exams really have any focus on how you operate the radio, now if you need a license to build one they cover that pretty well. How many people really build radios anymore? Or am I in the dark with this. Just doesnt make sense to answer some pretty technical questions on electrical circuits so I can talk on 20m :cry:

Anyway not complaining, just seems rather out dated ..
I'd have to agree with that.
Radios are sooo complicated and miniaturized that one cannot fix them. Ham radio seems to deal with more disposable parts in order to fix them. Just 'buy' a replacement daughter board and it is fixed. Who owns/operates/fixes their gear - unless it is an old boat anchor/Heathkit? Ship it off to a tech!

Ham radio can use electronics a lot more than just to fail at trying to fix your new whiz-band-does-all-DC-to-daylight radio. What about building a receiver? What about building a remote antenna switch? Sure you can throw money at it and make the issue go away but what about self satisfaction? Here's one, what about understanding basic electronic principles so that you can better understand why it is that your TX is blasting the crap out of every other piece of electronics in your house? How about understanding resonant circuits so you don't have to ask "How do I build an antenna tuner?" It doesn't get much simpler than an antenna tuner but I am amazed at the Extra class hams that still ask that question. :headbang:censored::pop:

Some good points, but with technology as it is today most would just spend a few bucks than spend a few hours building something.

I think more focus on how to use the radio and radio procedures should be in the tests. I cant count how many people I hear on the air who have no idea how to use the proper phonetic alphabet, or blasting in when someone hasnt finished a contact. All you have to do is listen to some of the SAT passes, some of the Extra Class guys are the worst offenders.

Don't use satellite passes as a measure of operating do's and don'ts. That stuff is just a dogfight at the best of times with half the country all scrambling to be heard all in a matter of a few minutes.

I di hear what you are saying however.

I guess that was a poor example as it is a dog fight for sure, but still the basic phonetic alphabet is standard some of these guys think they are 1 Adam 12 hehehe

Ok sitting here waiting to head out for HRO dont want to leave too early and end up sitting in the parking lot hehehe, I'm worse than a kid at Christmas..

Ok getting ready to head out, they open at 10am so I will beleaving in the next 30 minutes. You can follow my progress on any of the APRS Tracking systems via the Internet, just look for W1MED-9 ...

I'll take some pictures of my Antenna Balun Choke and the rig as I get it all set up today !

Ok I have been having all kinds of fun with all the new stuff ..

I did get the LDG Meter as well, Glad I did really a nice addition.

I just finished listening to a net down in Texas on 20 Meters, I NEED TO GET MY GENERAL :tongue:

Listened to the NA1SS Contact the Boy Scout Jamboree down in VA and can get on my local repeaters with no problems.

The Tuner seems to have tuned up the G5RV Jr with no problems however I need to make a 10m contact, maybe late this afternoon as the band has been open a bit.

Anyway, anyone who has any tips on settings or would care to send me their settings from the RT Software, it would be Greatly appreciated.

Craig

Ok here ya go, Pic's of the set up, the antenna's and the choke I built this morning.

Just heard 9A9A from Croatia on 20 meters, Man I need my General...

Attachments

• DSCN0054.JPG
    DSCN0054.JPG
    505.4 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCN0055.JPG
    DSCN0055.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 148
  • DSCN0056.JPG
    DSCN0056.JPG
    487.7 KB · Views: 166
  • DSCN0057.JPG
    DSCN0057.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 155
I was going to suggest buying a mic with a keypad so you can enter frequencies directly, but if you are using HRD for rig control, there isn't much need. Moleculo can probably help you with a lot of the menu settings from his 897. There is also a 857 yahoo group

Is the vertical antenna a GP-6?

Radio operating procedure and etiquette were covered in the Tech study materials and test.

Didnt see it in the test I took 10 years ago, most of it was on antenna radiation and other non sense that did me no good when making my first contacts.

I am going to start a thread on the basics and post some tid bits that might help some new folks.

I was going to suggest buying a mic with a keypad so you can enter frequencies directly, but if you are using HRD for rig control, there isn't much need. Moleculo can probably help you with a lot of the menu settings from his 897. There is also a 857 yahoo group

Is the vertical antenna a GP-6?

I dont remember what it is, its a cheap dual band that does pretty well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated