• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pushing one linear to another

theborg

Sep 8, 2016
Another nubie question.
I recently traded for a small tube amp that does about 75 watts. The guy I got it from said I could use it as is, or use it to push another amp. That surprised me. Are there general rules for this? What type of amplifier would accept 75 watts without blowing up?

Depending on the biasing scheme of the driver amplifier these two amps come to mind.
dx1600-and-dx1600x.jpg

Reactions: Tallman
Consider that for years, the typical rule for an amplifier "stage" was a power gain, or multiplication factor of between ten-to-one and fifteen-to-one, more or less.

A small box that boosts your radio from 20 Watt peaks to 200 Watt peaks, for example. Ten to one.

Rule of thumb for a 75-Watt peak-output-amplifier would be to drive an amplifier meant to deliver between 750 and 1200 Watts.

The power-gain factor tends to be higher for the AM carrier than it is for the modulation peaks. Causes them to over-exaggerate the carrier power, and under-deliver peak modulated power. It helps a lot to have a way to set the radio's carrier power lower than the normal barefoot level. This allows you to compensate for the amplifier's tendency to show too much carrier. Running the radio with full barefoot carrier level when driving amplifiers will reduce the audio level they hear at the other end, unless you can turn down the carrier to compensate. You may hear this particular audio issue described as a "tight" audio sound at the other end.

Not sure whether or not your amplifier should deliver 75 Watts peak power, or 75 Watts of average power. On AM, that's a big difference. Simply describing it as "75 Watts" does not narrow this down a lot.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I thought I posted this is the "Amplifiers" section. That's what is says at the top of this page.

Just keep your driver box as linear as you can. Class AB box, tuned correctly.
75 watts (carrier average) 300 + - peak is a decent driver.

Reactions: BBB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated