• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Put up new sirio 2016

Thank you. Playing with my atu on this ft450d I have found 50 mhz, and 14.mhz...and others tune up real well. I am going to sit down tonight and tone all spots I can tune up.
Hey MDM, looks like a tree wired to a post with 2016 attached to tree, just how tall is that bad boy??? Antenna looks like about 20' itself. Do I see a balun coil on the downfeed? What did you do for lightning protection, and how did you handle raising your "tree"?? Guessing you're about 40' plus deck height. Looks good, just wondering about the maintenance factor. Redbeast

Hey MDM, looks like a tree wired to a post with 2016 attached to tree, just how tall is that bad boy??? Antenna looks like about 20' itself. Do I see a balun coil on the downfeed? What did you do for lightning protection, and how did you handle raising your "tree"?? Guessing you're about 40' plus deck height. Looks good, just wondering about the maintenance factor. Redbeast
The "tree", was a tree at one time, It is a tepee, pole. It was 32ft long when I first got it, It is over 100 years old, and like a rock but it does bend some...
We had winds of 15, with gusts up to 45 and nothing looked like it was going to move. The 2016 is strong, and were good.
Fed point to ground is 42ft 3 1/4 in.(I checked today), I wrapped 5 turns around a 4 1/2 in. form, and wrapped it in 3m molding tape as I did the feed point too. I have a spike driven at the base to act as a hinge so I can put it up and down by myself.
I have an 10ft ground rod put down and 00 g. coming from my coax with a pass through, and I can remove my coax when storms come, like tonight, were to get thunder storms, so No coax running into the house.
And it is a 5/8 antenna.
I like it so far, and it tunes up well in other bands too with my ft450d.

The "tree", was a tree at one time, It is a tepee, pole. It was 32ft long when I first got it, It is over 100 years old, and like a rock but it does bend some...
We had winds of 15, with gusts up to 45 and nothing looked like it was going to move. The 2016 is strong, and were good.
Fed point to ground is 42ft 3 1/4 in.(I checked today), I wrapped 5 turns around a 4 1/2 in. form, and wrapped it in 3m molding tape as I did the feed point too. I have a spike driven at the base to act as a hinge so I can put it up and down by myself.
I have an 10ft ground rod put down and 00 g. coming from my coax with a pass through, and I can remove my coax when storms come, like tonight, were to get thunder storms, so No coax running into the house.
And it is a 5/8 antenna.
I like it so far, and it tunes up well in other bands too with my ft450d.[/QUOT
Well, looks like a geat setup, must be a "mother" even with the pole on a pivot though!!!

I can push it up hand over hand easy, I'm 6 3 and a little strong...
I have been thinking about handcrank setups i have seen in the past.........just a geared crank handle with a halfmoon shaped gear, but for the life of me can't remember what i saw it on. Also thought about a gate latch like you would see on a chain link fence gate, that way when you pushed up the pole it would lock straight up and would be easier to run thru bolts to tighten, rather then trying to hold up the mast with on hand. Did not notice if you had guys on your pole, probably strong enuff w/o.

I have been thinking about handcrank setups i have seen in the past.........just a geared crank handle with a halfmoon shaped gear, but for the life of me can't remember what i saw it on. Also thought about a gate latch like you would see on a chain link fence gate, that way when you pushed up the pole it would lock straight up and would be easier to run thru bolts to tighten, rather then trying to hold up the mast with on hand. Did not notice if you had guys on your pole, probably strong enuff w/o.
No guys needed, and its been tested, a little in our last little t-storm.
Dx right now is off and on but Iam talking the last 3 nights, nor cal, ore., nor, nav. and B.C. and AB., col. its fun skip, hard but luck is in the game too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.