• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

quad reflector versus yagi reflector

Hey NB, I have continued to work with my model of the 5 element Quad using your information as best I understand it. I have not matched the antenna as yet. Do you recall or know even close to the length of your matching line you used...or did you use a gamma match? It sure might save me a lot of trial an error if you would give up that little secret.

My model to this point has been tuned for a good match and not maximum gain. I think that limits the optimizing possibilities somewhat using the spacing and loop size to get more gain.

I have been working with this 5 element and I have seen some really good gain figures but the match was really bad and I was thinking it might be possible to get some more gain and then tune it with a 75 ohm line to show a good match at resonance without destroying the match.

I already have a whopping good rejection model with over -40db front to back. I know you could tell that using only your radio...but I'm not to sure one could really tell the difference in gain I've been seeing...and it isn't much difference using a balance spacing scheme thus far.

Below is the Free Space pattern with the max front/back noted in the antenna details printed out here.

OK, for a matching line just use a 1/4 wave of 75Ω direct-drive, but tune for maximum front - back.

...and if I didn't design & tune the quad used in comparison to a Yagi, I don't trust it.

You have heard on dBd, gain over dipole, and dBi, gain over isotropic. He is using dBdl, gain over dummy load.
Rich
The radio was a yaesu FT 101 and a FT 301 both meters were calibrated the antenna was 52 feet of the ground and the the guy at the time had a .64 vertical antenna his signal was 60 plus over s-9 and with antenna turned back side i would hear him at a few s units and the side i would not hear him at all .
So with that said !
I got a moonraker 4 antenna light weight compared to the 3 element with 2 inch boom and 1 inch elements .
Put up the moonraker and what a joke had the worst front to back and did the 5 wire mod (don't start with pattern is screwed up) to the reflector and it did help a little .
The antenna is still up (put up 1987 in july ) .
I still want to replace the quad reflector with a yagi reflector with element spacing changes and length changes .
I just do not trust the wire for front to back i did do lots of modelling and sure you can get good front to back and tighter pattern with the quad reflector .
The question still is do you really or is the yagi reflector better ?
Yes you could go full quad design but i want vertical and horizontal and doing that with a quad is not easy and matching is a not easy either .
so many questions !!!

The radio was a yaesu FT 101 and a FT 301 both meters were calibrated the antenna was 52 feet of the ground and the the guy at the time had a .64 vertical antenna his signal was 60 plus over s-9 and with antenna turned back side i would hear him at a few s units and the side i would not hear him at all .

I don't believe it. If the meters really were calibrated at 6dB/S-unit that would mean the antenna had almost 96dB front/rear rejection assuming "a few S-units" was about S-3 and even more front/side rejection. That's not going to happen unless you have a parabolic dish. Something is not as it appears and I suspect the meter calibration. If someone was giving you 60dB over S-9 you would hear them with no antenna attached to the end of your coax.

I don't believe it. If the meters really were calibrated at 6dB/S-unit that would mean the antenna had almost 96dB front/rear rejection assuming "a few S-units" was about S-3 and even more front/side rejection. That's not going to happen unless you have a parabolic dish. Something is not as it appears and I suspect the meter calibration. If someone was giving you 60dB over S-9 you would hear them with no antenna attached to the end of your coax.
Maybe if it was a Collins you'd see close to 6dB/S-unit. Most rigs I've used, CBs & Amateur, panned out to be between 3-4dB/S-unit.

Oh how I can't wait to see the results of both these tests.

How about a quagi reflector / driven vs. moonraker style reflector / driven comparison? I'm very interested in this, since I've done a gongola of reading on it, and everyone so far says quagi config..... I'd be interested to see if you've played at all with this? YOUR the antenna expert :) (wasn't it easier being a newbie on rrcb and NOT having your inbox innundated with emails from EVERYONE :) )

I might have to put something together around here for 2 meters and see if I can figure out what works better. Lots easier to build for 2 than 11 meters!!!

--Toll_Free
ok we are working on a quagi ref and driver is set up like signal engineering lighting. then forward horizonal elements. reason for this is ... our humble but correct opinion... after adding more than 5-6 quad elements there is no substantial gain. but adding yagi elements will. has anyone else done this?

Reactions: Marconi
Ack, I have not done anything but examples of real Quads, except to model them with Eznec if I could get some dimensions.

I could try and change one of my old SE Quads and just add several Horizontal Yagi elements like you described above. That would all be...just a wild guess on my part...without your help and the details.

Maybe I can help you some with this idea.

To avoid my guessing at the dimensions and many details for your basic idea...do you feel comfortable giving me your details and dimensions?

A drawing with dimensions Length" x wire and/or tubing diameters." A few words to describe the details where you think necessary.

Take into account, I am 83 years old and not in good health, since I had Covid, and recent surgery for a heart valve replacement.

Eddie - Marconi

Ack, I have not done anything but examples of real Quads, except to model them with Eznec if I could get some dimensions.

I could try and change one of my old SE Quads and just add several Horizontal Yagi elements like you described above. That would all be...just a wild guess on my part...without your help and the details.

Maybe I can help you some with this idea.

To avoid my guessing at the dimensions and many details for your basic idea...do you feel comfortable giving me your details and dimensions?

A drawing with dimensions Length" x wire and/or tubing diameters." A few words to describe the details where you think necessary.

Take into account, I am 83 years old and not in good health, since I had Covid, and recent surgery for a heart valve replacement.

Eddie - Marconi
ed
ok the reflector wire is 453in divided by 4 is 113.25 per side. the driver element is 438 divided by 4 is 109.5 per side. distance between them are 84.5in. the L6 calls for them to be 102in apart. i can do either. boom is 3in diameter. i think the max i will try is 65ft or so on 3 in. does anyone have any idea the max 3in will carry? i really havent looked at larger antenna designs.
ack

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.