• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Quick and dirty antenna?

I'm not a fan of active indoor antennas for SW, as there are so many noise sources for them to pick up these days.
not to mention that usually this type of antenna gets connected to a receiver with sub-par front end circuit that gets over loaded by the amplifier and ends up only picking up the local AM sports radio regardless of where you tune.

obviously others may have had better experiences with them.

i am a fan of this antenna for SW listening, as it's pretty low noise and has a very small footprint: http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/special/bromstik.html

LC

I'm not a fan of active indoor antennas for SW, as there are so many noise sources for them to pick up these days.
LC

I agree on the indoor antennas. Tried one of the wire antennas on a spool and succeeded only in raising the noise level. I use the radio's built-in whip with great success. Listen all over the world.

I agree on the indoor antennas. Tried one of the wire antennas on a spool and succeeded only in raising the noise level. I use the radio's built-in whip with great success. Listen all over the world.
I do both when I travel. Sometimes the noise level in whatever hotel I am staying in is low enough to use a wire, other times I just use the built in antenna.

Brett

Well, took me awhile but I finally got a temporary 100' long line antenna strung and it made a world of difference with the Grundig Satellite 750. Picked up Saudi Arabia's Holy Quran broadcast and I think Madagascar. Spent the afternoon listening to contesters on SSB.

On another front, this week I sprang for an Icom IC-7300 with a power supply and a 140' (160-10) meter dipole antenna. Can't wait to get that baby up and running. Three weeks to go before I sit for the license exam(s).

Reactions: HomerBB

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.