• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

QYT KT-8900D Dual Band Mini Radio

RatsoW8

Supporting Member, W9WDX ARC Member - WD8T
Nov 3, 2009
West Central Michigan
I ordered one of these today from eBay. It's the Gen 2 version and the price is under $100 including the programming cable and software CD. Anyone else have one? I just wanted something to monitor the local not so busy repeaters and to play around with. I may take my aging Kenwood dual bander out of the truck for the winter and Velcro this one in there somewhere. It's small enough.

8900D.jpg

Reactions: 2RT307

Just ordered today and it's coming from China. The ad says delivery by 11/26 and usually anything I order that ships from China arrives earlier that what they estimate. US retailers should take a lesson from the Chinese on shipping.

They aren't bad little radios for the money. Use one in the work van and it does a good job for what it is.

I ordered one of these today from eBay. It's the Gen 2 version and the price is under $100 including the programming cable and software CD. Anyone else have one? I just wanted something to monitor the local not so busy repeaters and to play around with. I may take my aging Kenwood dual bander out of the truck for the winter and Velcro this one in there somewhere. It's small enough.

View attachment 19414
let me know what you think of it. Looking for something like that for our SAR group.

I had been considering the Baofeng 50 watt unit, but this one looks interesting . Please let us know how you guys like them.

Brett

Sorry gents if I mislead anyone into thinking I had one of these when I said what I did in my post. I have a QTY dual band mobile 50w radio and it works great for how small it is. The whole radio is basically a heat sink LOL. But with just a small whip on the top of the van for the 70cm band, for our business radio, I had a range of about 20-25 miles depending on the terrain. 20 miles confirmed in all directions. But any ways the mic is kind of quiet, but the radio is built like a small tank and it seems to be working fine still. My boss lost his 85ft tower in thehurricabe due to tree falling on on of the guyed wires. He is planning on removing all remaining trees from the area and repalce tower with a taller one. Anyhow. The small QYT radio in my work van works well for what it is and the cost. No frills, just an easy to use radio as long as you have the programming cable:D.
The one posted looks nice. I'll show it to the boss and see if he will spring on one!! Let you gents know!! That way I don't pay for it;).

The wifey just got back from the mailbox and plopped this down on my desk. 8 day shipping from China isn't bad! I'm working a half day from home today so, I'll be opening my new toy a little later on this afternoon :)

20161125_113431.jpg

Reactions: 222DBFL and 2RT307
8 days is great, but makes me wonder what U.S. Customs is actually doing...

Let us know how you like it! Really considering one of these, as a a couple of guys in my club.

Happy belated Thanksgiving, and 73!
Brett

Quick first impressions. It’s a nice little radio and good quality. Weighs exactly 1 lb. and is tiny. All I've done so far it programmed in two local repeaters, 144 and 440 MHz. The receive audio is nice for such a small rig and it has plenty of audio volume for mobile operation.

I did make a vain attempt to fire up the programming software but right off the bat there doesn’t seem to be any way to set the language to English and I can’t get it recognize the radio. Manual programming isn't difficult at all if your used to English translations of Chinese manuals..lol Programming from the mic is much easier for me than from the button menus on the radio.

LCD screen is nice and clear and offers some different color schemes.

I'm seeing 30 watts out on both bands and only talked to one person on a 2 meter repeater who gave me a good audio report. Its well worth the $87 and change I paid for it.

Incidently, when you transmit the model number showing on the bottom of the lcd screen goes away and you see a nice bright green bar graph with rf output and then the same whth a received signal. I think it's calibrated in % right now so with a strong local repeater the received signal reads 95 at the end of the bar graph. Maybe there's a way to change it.

20161125_160453.jpg

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated