• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Radio Shack TRC 485 info please

i did a write up of the alignment of one of these a while back, and i can tell you that its the only info you're going to find online about these radios besides maybe the modulation pot number.

here is a link:http://www.worldwidedx.com/general-...ic-trc-485-alignment-tune-up-info-trc485.html

i remember because i had to start from scratch and make up the alignment process myself. lots of work.

IMO these radios are OK. not great, not bad.

pretty much any realistic radio made after 1985 is not going to be that great.

good luck with it,
LC

I had one back when they came out in the mid or late 1990s. neat little radio but no mods other than B.S. people put on the nety that were false or flukes I believe they were not expandable as far as frequency coverage I actually gave mine to a young kid at the time that was just starting out on SSB. I just set it on frequency because there wasnt even a clarifier mod at that time atleast. I set it on frequency and gave it to him.

Reactions: Woody-202
Oh also worth mentioning.. the 485's could be expanded..kind of a pain to do but doable...also the clarifer could be locked in..that was the easy part.

Reactions: RBR762
the TRC-485 was the same chassis as alot of 10 meter/export radios, most like a Magnum 257 but also the (almost)unmodifiable HTX-10.
The 485 CB radio is well known for being easily modified for freeband and 10 meter ham. CPU controlled, SMT?, freq display, etc. The 465 and 485 are different animals.

The TRC-435 was just an AM only radio in the same case as the 465, cosmetically identical to the 465 with tone or some b.s. replacing the clarifier knob.

The TRC-453 was almost identical to the 465, same chassis and PLL, but in chrome.

Then they had the TRC-480, its like the 465, but it SCANS! It has buttons, similar to an old computer.

I mapped out and have a clarifier mod for the TRC-485 chassis.

Edit ~ lol Mud duck... if he needs the clarifier mod I'll be glad to pass along the info.

~Cheers~

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?